Edge, Fashion

Fake fall weather with fashion

fall2A Miami fall is more like an extension of summer than a separate season. While you might want to get your pumpkin spice latte iced, you don’t have to opt out of fall fashion. The UM campus, a virtual university-sized runway, is teeming with fall looks tweaked for the heat.

Upgrading your hot weather wardrobe for fall can be as simple as switching color: students are spotted in royal blues, burgundies, greys and mustards this season. And there’s no need for a full peacoat; a jewel-toned tank works just as well for a fall ensemble.

When it comes to shapes and textures, lightweight knits are a great alternative to chunky wool sweaters, and a cardigan popped over a crop top counts as fall layering in the South Florida heat. Instead of head-to-toe coverage, mix in fall pieces with summer ones, like a sweater with shorts or boyfriend jeans with a tank.

For prints, look for dark-colored plaids, leopard print and windowpane pieces. Leopard print is great for smaller items like shoes and bags, whereas windowpane and plaid lend themselves to larger pieces like a dress or a top.Fall1

If you can’t bear to pile more clothes on your body, pair fall shoes and accessories with a summer outfit. Switch out your sandals and tote for an oversized leather bag and ankle boots. Invest in gold statement pieces like a chain necklace or headband– but don’t worry, cost-conscious students, it doesn’t have to be real gold.

Whether it’s a plaid tank or ankle boots with shorts, there’s always a way to incorporate fall fashion in nearly unbearable heat. But don’t just take our word for it; stroll by the SAC or through the Green and you’ll see that fall –at least when it comes to fashion– really is Hurricane season.

Haley Walker

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...