Edge, Fashion

Fake fall weather with fashion

fall2A Miami fall is more like an extension of summer than a separate season. While you might want to get your pumpkin spice latte iced, you don’t have to opt out of fall fashion. The UM campus, a virtual university-sized runway, is teeming with fall looks tweaked for the heat.

Upgrading your hot weather wardrobe for fall can be as simple as switching color: students are spotted in royal blues, burgundies, greys and mustards this season. And there’s no need for a full peacoat; a jewel-toned tank works just as well for a fall ensemble.

When it comes to shapes and textures, lightweight knits are a great alternative to chunky wool sweaters, and a cardigan popped over a crop top counts as fall layering in the South Florida heat. Instead of head-to-toe coverage, mix in fall pieces with summer ones, like a sweater with shorts or boyfriend jeans with a tank.

For prints, look for dark-colored plaids, leopard print and windowpane pieces. Leopard print is great for smaller items like shoes and bags, whereas windowpane and plaid lend themselves to larger pieces like a dress or a top.Fall1

If you can’t bear to pile more clothes on your body, pair fall shoes and accessories with a summer outfit. Switch out your sandals and tote for an oversized leather bag and ankle boots. Invest in gold statement pieces like a chain necklace or headband– but don’t worry, cost-conscious students, it doesn’t have to be real gold.

Whether it’s a plaid tank or ankle boots with shorts, there’s always a way to incorporate fall fashion in nearly unbearable heat. But don’t just take our word for it; stroll by the SAC or through the Green and you’ll see that fall –at least when it comes to fashion– really is Hurricane season.

Haley Walker

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...