Edge, Fashion

Fake fall weather with fashion

fall2A Miami fall is more like an extension of summer than a separate season. While you might want to get your pumpkin spice latte iced, you don’t have to opt out of fall fashion. The UM campus, a virtual university-sized runway, is teeming with fall looks tweaked for the heat.

Upgrading your hot weather wardrobe for fall can be as simple as switching color: students are spotted in royal blues, burgundies, greys and mustards this season. And there’s no need for a full peacoat; a jewel-toned tank works just as well for a fall ensemble.

When it comes to shapes and textures, lightweight knits are a great alternative to chunky wool sweaters, and a cardigan popped over a crop top counts as fall layering in the South Florida heat. Instead of head-to-toe coverage, mix in fall pieces with summer ones, like a sweater with shorts or boyfriend jeans with a tank.

For prints, look for dark-colored plaids, leopard print and windowpane pieces. Leopard print is great for smaller items like shoes and bags, whereas windowpane and plaid lend themselves to larger pieces like a dress or a top.Fall1

If you can’t bear to pile more clothes on your body, pair fall shoes and accessories with a summer outfit. Switch out your sandals and tote for an oversized leather bag and ankle boots. Invest in gold statement pieces like a chain necklace or headband– but don’t worry, cost-conscious students, it doesn’t have to be real gold.

Whether it’s a plaid tank or ankle boots with shorts, there’s always a way to incorporate fall fashion in nearly unbearable heat. But don’t just take our word for it; stroll by the SAC or through the Green and you’ll see that fall –at least when it comes to fashion– really is Hurricane season.

Haley Walker

With remarks by entrepreneur and alumnus Rony Abovitz, a recent event at the Kislak Center showcased ...

A UM student retention task force is working to ensure that all first-year students feel at home. ...

A new School of Nursing and Health Studies’ initiative delivers critical health care for Miami’s hom ...

As part of the Leadership UMiami program, students heard from community leaders who spend their care ...

Miller School of Medicine doctors are providing assistance on Great Abaco Island, where survivors of ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.