Culture, Fashion

Fake fall weather with fashion

fall2A Miami fall is more like an extension of summer than a separate season. While you might want to get your pumpkin spice latte iced, you don’t have to opt out of fall fashion. The UM campus, a virtual university-sized runway, is teeming with fall looks tweaked for the heat.

Upgrading your hot weather wardrobe for fall can be as simple as switching color: students are spotted in royal blues, burgundies, greys and mustards this season. And there’s no need for a full peacoat; a jewel-toned tank works just as well for a fall ensemble.

When it comes to shapes and textures, lightweight knits are a great alternative to chunky wool sweaters, and a cardigan popped over a crop top counts as fall layering in the South Florida heat. Instead of head-to-toe coverage, mix in fall pieces with summer ones, like a sweater with shorts or boyfriend jeans with a tank.

For prints, look for dark-colored plaids, leopard print and windowpane pieces. Leopard print is great for smaller items like shoes and bags, whereas windowpane and plaid lend themselves to larger pieces like a dress or a top.Fall1

If you can’t bear to pile more clothes on your body, pair fall shoes and accessories with a summer outfit. Switch out your sandals and tote for an oversized leather bag and ankle boots. Invest in gold statement pieces like a chain necklace or headband– but don’t worry, cost-conscious students, it doesn’t have to be real gold.

Whether it’s a plaid tank or ankle boots with shorts, there’s always a way to incorporate fall fashion in nearly unbearable heat. But don’t just take our word for it; stroll by the SAC or through the Green and you’ll see that fall –at least when it comes to fashion– really is Hurricane season.

Haley Walker

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...