Community, Crime and Safety, Featured, News

Pedestrian safety measures taken in Pinecrest

Nearly a month ago, a traffic signal was installed at the intersection in Pinecrest Village where a car fatally struck two doctoral students from the University of Miami one year ago. On Oct. 17, a memorial was held at which friends, neighbors and village officials crossed the intersection together in honor of the students.

On Oct. 16 of last year, Hao Liu, 26, and Ying Chen, 27, were crossing the intersection at Kendall Drive and SW 68th Court in Pinecrest when they were struck and killed by an oncoming car. According to Pinecrest Mayor Cindy Lerner, the intersection lacked both traffic lights and a crosswalk.

“There was no traffic light, there was no crosswalk either, there was absolutely nothing,” Lerner said. “Two weeks after the accident, they had a memorial … While I was there, many of the students and some residents who lived in the homes behind the apartments took me aside and said, ‘We need to have some protection here; there has to be a crosswalk or a light so this doesn’t happen again.’”

Students living in that area who take the Metrorail to school or work must cross the intersection to reach the nearest station. Since Kendall Drive is a county road, Pinecrest couldn’t simply decide to install a traffic light.

“It was actually the neighbors and students who made the initial outreach and request to the county,” Lerner said. “And we just followed up and said, ‘Yes we want it.’ We all kind of stayed on top of them until they made the decision to install a traffic light and a crosswalk.”

Liu and Chen were only two months into their pursuits of doctoral degrees in engineering. Both attained their bachelor’s degrees from prestigious universities in China before deciding to pursue their doctoral degrees at UM.

Yunqiu Wang, an adviser to the Chinese Students and Scholars Association, said that the mood was bittersweet as friends and neighbors honored the students during the memorial.

“We still remember them vividly, their face, their smile, and yet we also see something positive coming out of it,” Wang said. “And so it was bittersweet for everybody, from the councilman of Pinecrest, to the undergraduate and graduate students and the neighbors who came out to remember them.”

Meanwhile, the long-awaited pedestrian overpass over the dangerous US-1 intersection near the University Metrorail station is closing in on the start of construction.

According to spokeswomen Irene Ferradaz, Miami-Dade Transit expects to obtain the Building Department permit for the overpass by the end of the month. Construction would then begin in April 2015 and take one year to complete.

Featured photo courtesty of Garrett via Flickr.

William Riggin

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...