Culture, UBuzz

This is Halloween: 13 tips to celebrate the spooktacular holiday

If you’re looking for a spooktacular way to get into the Halloween spirit, then read on for 13 delightfully ghoulish tips.

Courtesy sazrlion.tumblr.com

1. Channel your inner witch or wizard with classic movies like “Halloweentown” and “Hocus Pocus.”

Courtesy inlove-wt-death.tumblr.com

2. Whip up enchanting treats.

Courtesy thepumpkinqueenn.tumblr.com

Courtesy leavebonesexposed.tumblr.com

3. Convene with some chilling spirits.

Courtesy cocktailspassion.tumblr.com

4. Decorate your dorm to rival any haunted mansion.

Courtesy gifreakingjane.tumblr.com

5. Shrieks and cackles shouldn’t be Halloween’s only soundtrack. Make a rocking playlist that can wake the [un]dead.

Courtesy popsugar.com

6. Gather some Pinspiration to make a costume!

Courtesy frozensecond.tumblr.com

7. Then end up buying one because Pinterest expectations ≠ reality

Courtesy imglols.com

8. Bust out the horror flicks.

9. Map out your day-of route.

Courtesy shallowsprings.tumblr.com

10. Live through your own horror film at places like House of Horror Park, the HistoryMiami Cemetery Tour and Halloween Horror Nights. (Go behind the scenes of HHN Houses here.)

Courtesy faceoffdaily.tumblr.com

11. Carve a pumpkin. WARNING: This pumpkin may be too scary for the average reader.

Photo courtesy jakerzzzz.tumblr.com

12. Watch “Tim Burton’s The Nightmare before Christmas.” (Is it a Halloween movie? Is it a Christmas movie? Answer: Who cares? It’s great enough to be both.)

Courtesy francia2510.tumblr.com

13. EAT CANDY CORN.

Courtesy continuants.tumblr.com

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...