Community, Homecoming 2014, News

Homecoming service day proves fruitful

Students participating in Hurricanes Help the Hometown gather at the Rock before heading out to various service sites on Saturday morning. Sarah Hirth // Contributing Photographer

After making it through a week of classes, about 200 students from various campus organizations spent their Saturday morning participating in Hurricanes Help the Hometown (HHTH), a Homecoming event that happens to be one of the longest-standing service days at the University of Miami.

This annual event was planned out six months ahead of Homecoming Week by Hannah Abel, Jackie Safstrom and Sapan Parikh, the chairs of HHTH.

“We go into the community and see which sites are more responsive to student volunteers,” said Parikh, a senior majoring in economics and finance.

Students were welcomed with a T-shirt, a water bottle and bagels before they got on buses that drove to volunteer sites such as the Tropical Audubon Society and the Fruit and Spice Park.

The largest group of students, numbering 102 volunteers, went to the Fruit and Spice Park, a roughly 40-acre garden in Homestead.

Founded in the 1940s by Miami-Dade County, Fruit and Spice Park was originally created to showcase Floridian agricultural crops such as citrus fruits and mangoes. However, in the 1980s, a new park manager decided to diversify the park with tropical plants from all over the world. Today, the park boasts more than 2,000 trees, including 120 varieties of mangoes and 60 varieties of bananas.

Guiding the students was Louise King, a park horticulturalist who expressed her gratitude towards the volunteers.

“It’s hard to keep up with 40 acres of plants with a small staff, so when UM volunteers come to help us, it frees our garden staff to do horticultural tasks that involve more skills and knowledge,” King said.

Volunteers marched across the park and pulled out possum vines and air potatoes, plants that compete with trees for sunlight and nutrients. If left unchecked, these plants would grow to cover the canopy of the trees and prevent the trees from obtaining sunlight.

After four hours of hard work, the students gathered around in a circle to discuss how they felt about the service day. Aalekhya Reddam, the Homecoming chair for the Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO), was impressed with the park’s variety of foreign plants, many of which UM’s international students could recognize.

“It was like the whole world condensed in Fruit and Spice Park,” she said.

Zishi Wu

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...