Featured, Homecoming 2014, News

FEC, ACS, UBS move on to Alma Mater Finals

Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC), Association of Commuter Students (ACS) and United Black Students (UBS) have moved on to perform in the Alma Mater Finals in which competing organizations perform creative versions of the alma mater Thursday.

One of the most popular events during Homecoming Week, the preliminary round of the Alma Mater Competition was held in the Student Activities Center ballrooms Friday night.

Each organization sang the traditional alma mater and then changed the lyrics to popular songs to relate to campus life and the upcoming Homecoming football game against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Before the event began, participants sang and danced to popular songs including Taylor Swift’s “Shake It Off” and Migos’ “Fight Night.”

“Our alma mater is a tradition,” said senior Sabina Szczepaniec, who sits on the Homecoming Executive Committee. “Being able to see what organizations can do with it is pretty cool.”

Szczepaniec has attended the Alma Mater Preliminaries every year she has been at the University of Miami.

The Chi Omega sorority and Phi Delta Theta fraternity performed together as the first team, remixing Beatles’ songs and the theme from “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” television show. The Greek organizations performed in pairs of a fraternity and sorority.

They were followed by UBS, who gave a rendition of Beyonce’s “Drunk in Love.”

FEC and ACS each had a large turnout  to support their teams’ performers.

Sophomore Beja Yman Turner co-chaired the event and helped with the organization and logistics. She stressed the important role Alma Mater plays.

“I always think that Alma Mater is one of the biggest homecoming events because it is the culmination of school spirit,” Turner said. “Everyone enjoys song and dance. Everyone can incorporate their own spirit in their own style.”

The Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO), Alpha Delta Pi and Kappa Sigma, Hecht Residential College, and Beta Theta Pi and Delta Phi Epsilon also performed.

In addition to the three groups that moved on to the finals, Hecht Residential College was selected as Judge’s Choice and will perform Thursday as well.

Alma Mater Finals will be held at 10:45 a.m. Thursday on the Rock.

Keep checking back to our Homecoming 2014 page throughout the week.

Vivian Garcia

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...