Featured, Homecoming 2014, News

FEC, ACS, UBS move on to Alma Mater Finals

Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC), Association of Commuter Students (ACS) and United Black Students (UBS) have moved on to perform in the Alma Mater Finals in which competing organizations perform creative versions of the alma mater Thursday.

One of the most popular events during Homecoming Week, the preliminary round of the Alma Mater Competition was held in the Student Activities Center ballrooms Friday night.

Each organization sang the traditional alma mater and then changed the lyrics to popular songs to relate to campus life and the upcoming Homecoming football game against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Before the event began, participants sang and danced to popular songs including Taylor Swift’s “Shake It Off” and Migos’ “Fight Night.”

“Our alma mater is a tradition,” said senior Sabina Szczepaniec, who sits on the Homecoming Executive Committee. “Being able to see what organizations can do with it is pretty cool.”

Szczepaniec has attended the Alma Mater Preliminaries every year she has been at the University of Miami.

The Chi Omega sorority and Phi Delta Theta fraternity performed together as the first team, remixing Beatles’ songs and the theme from “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” television show. The Greek organizations performed in pairs of a fraternity and sorority.

They were followed by UBS, who gave a rendition of Beyonce’s “Drunk in Love.”

FEC and ACS each had a large turnout  to support their teams’ performers.

Sophomore Beja Yman Turner co-chaired the event and helped with the organization and logistics. She stressed the important role Alma Mater plays.

“I always think that Alma Mater is one of the biggest homecoming events because it is the culmination of school spirit,” Turner said. “Everyone enjoys song and dance. Everyone can incorporate their own spirit in their own style.”

The Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO), Alpha Delta Pi and Kappa Sigma, Hecht Residential College, and Beta Theta Pi and Delta Phi Epsilon also performed.

In addition to the three groups that moved on to the finals, Hecht Residential College was selected as Judge’s Choice and will perform Thursday as well.

Alma Mater Finals will be held at 10:45 a.m. Thursday on the Rock.

Keep checking back to our Homecoming 2014 page throughout the week.

Vivian Garcia

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...