Featured, Homecoming 2014, News

FEC, ACS, UBS move on to Alma Mater Finals

Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC), Association of Commuter Students (ACS) and United Black Students (UBS) have moved on to perform in the Alma Mater Finals in which competing organizations perform creative versions of the alma mater Thursday.

One of the most popular events during Homecoming Week, the preliminary round of the Alma Mater Competition was held in the Student Activities Center ballrooms Friday night.

Each organization sang the traditional alma mater and then changed the lyrics to popular songs to relate to campus life and the upcoming Homecoming football game against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Before the event began, participants sang and danced to popular songs including Taylor Swift’s “Shake It Off” and Migos’ “Fight Night.”

“Our alma mater is a tradition,” said senior Sabina Szczepaniec, who sits on the Homecoming Executive Committee. “Being able to see what organizations can do with it is pretty cool.”

Szczepaniec has attended the Alma Mater Preliminaries every year she has been at the University of Miami.

The Chi Omega sorority and Phi Delta Theta fraternity performed together as the first team, remixing Beatles’ songs and the theme from “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” television show. The Greek organizations performed in pairs of a fraternity and sorority.

They were followed by UBS, who gave a rendition of Beyonce’s “Drunk in Love.”

FEC and ACS each had a large turnout  to support their teams’ performers.

Sophomore Beja Yman Turner co-chaired the event and helped with the organization and logistics. She stressed the important role Alma Mater plays.

“I always think that Alma Mater is one of the biggest homecoming events because it is the culmination of school spirit,” Turner said. “Everyone enjoys song and dance. Everyone can incorporate their own spirit in their own style.”

The Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO), Alpha Delta Pi and Kappa Sigma, Hecht Residential College, and Beta Theta Pi and Delta Phi Epsilon also performed.

In addition to the three groups that moved on to the finals, Hecht Residential College was selected as Judge’s Choice and will perform Thursday as well.

Alma Mater Finals will be held at 10:45 a.m. Thursday on the Rock.

Keep checking back to our Homecoming 2014 page throughout the week.

Vivian Garcia

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...