Sports, Swimming/Diving

Swimming, diving team improves despite rough water

Miami swimming and diving stayed consistent last weekend, once again finishing in sixth place in the 18-event Southern Methodist University (SMU) classic after LSU, University of Louisiana, SMU, USC and NC State.

Despite the last place finish, the team showed improvement in the competitive two-day meet, scoring 218 points overall compared to last year’s 176 in the same meet.

A bright spot in Miami’s showing was senior diver Thea Vock, who clocked in two wins for the Hurricanes, single-handedly earning the team 32 points.

Vock recorded 303.5 points in the one-meter diving event Friday night, winning her first place in front of LSU’s Alex Bettridge (296.96 points) and NC State’s Rachael Mumma (292.90 points).

But Vock didn’t stop there; she also captured first place in the three-meter, again surpassing LSU diver Alex Bettridge who was awarded second.

“This was a great meet for the Hurricanes,” head swimming coach Andy Kershaw said. “Vock won again tonight, and based on her two wins, she takes home ‘high point diver of the meet.’”

On the swimming side of the competition, the swimmers continued to improve on their times. Sophomore Cameron Davis was one of Miami’s top swimmers at the classic, recording a time of 4:32.63 in the 400-yard individual medley (IM) and a time of 4:53.15 in the 500-yard freestyle.

Senior Heather Arseth earned Miami some points with a fourth place win in her final of the 100 freestyle, earning an impressive time of 49.94.

“The swimmers were great this weekend,” Kershaw said Saturday night. “They came back tonight and swam even faster than last night. As I told them, this is a direct result of their training.”

As the team improves, they look ahead to their first dual meet on Oct. 25 against Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU).

The meet will prove to be a challenging one, as FGCU has dominated the Miami squad in recent meetings. FGCU beat out Miami in this year’s Pinch-a-Penny All-Florida Invite, winning third compared to Miami’s fifth, and in Miami’s 2013 matchup with the school, the Hurricanes were defeated by FGCU, losing 123 to 175.

The team will be hard at work this week preparing for their fellow South Florida opponent. The meet is in Fort Myers, Florida this Saturday and events are set to begin at 11 a.m.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...