Sports, Swimming/Diving

Swimming, diving team improves despite rough water

Miami swimming and diving stayed consistent last weekend, once again finishing in sixth place in the 18-event Southern Methodist University (SMU) classic after LSU, University of Louisiana, SMU, USC and NC State.

Despite the last place finish, the team showed improvement in the competitive two-day meet, scoring 218 points overall compared to last year’s 176 in the same meet.

A bright spot in Miami’s showing was senior diver Thea Vock, who clocked in two wins for the Hurricanes, single-handedly earning the team 32 points.

Vock recorded 303.5 points in the one-meter diving event Friday night, winning her first place in front of LSU’s Alex Bettridge (296.96 points) and NC State’s Rachael Mumma (292.90 points).

But Vock didn’t stop there; she also captured first place in the three-meter, again surpassing LSU diver Alex Bettridge who was awarded second.

“This was a great meet for the Hurricanes,” head swimming coach Andy Kershaw said. “Vock won again tonight, and based on her two wins, she takes home ‘high point diver of the meet.’”

On the swimming side of the competition, the swimmers continued to improve on their times. Sophomore Cameron Davis was one of Miami’s top swimmers at the classic, recording a time of 4:32.63 in the 400-yard individual medley (IM) and a time of 4:53.15 in the 500-yard freestyle.

Senior Heather Arseth earned Miami some points with a fourth place win in her final of the 100 freestyle, earning an impressive time of 49.94.

“The swimmers were great this weekend,” Kershaw said Saturday night. “They came back tonight and swam even faster than last night. As I told them, this is a direct result of their training.”

As the team improves, they look ahead to their first dual meet on Oct. 25 against Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU).

The meet will prove to be a challenging one, as FGCU has dominated the Miami squad in recent meetings. FGCU beat out Miami in this year’s Pinch-a-Penny All-Florida Invite, winning third compared to Miami’s fifth, and in Miami’s 2013 matchup with the school, the Hurricanes were defeated by FGCU, losing 123 to 175.

The team will be hard at work this week preparing for their fellow South Florida opponent. The meet is in Fort Myers, Florida this Saturday and events are set to begin at 11 a.m.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...