Sports, Swimming/Diving

Swimming, diving team improves despite rough water

Miami swimming and diving stayed consistent last weekend, once again finishing in sixth place in the 18-event Southern Methodist University (SMU) classic after LSU, University of Louisiana, SMU, USC and NC State.

Despite the last place finish, the team showed improvement in the competitive two-day meet, scoring 218 points overall compared to last year’s 176 in the same meet.

A bright spot in Miami’s showing was senior diver Thea Vock, who clocked in two wins for the Hurricanes, single-handedly earning the team 32 points.

Vock recorded 303.5 points in the one-meter diving event Friday night, winning her first place in front of LSU’s Alex Bettridge (296.96 points) and NC State’s Rachael Mumma (292.90 points).

But Vock didn’t stop there; she also captured first place in the three-meter, again surpassing LSU diver Alex Bettridge who was awarded second.

“This was a great meet for the Hurricanes,” head swimming coach Andy Kershaw said. “Vock won again tonight, and based on her two wins, she takes home ‘high point diver of the meet.’”

On the swimming side of the competition, the swimmers continued to improve on their times. Sophomore Cameron Davis was one of Miami’s top swimmers at the classic, recording a time of 4:32.63 in the 400-yard individual medley (IM) and a time of 4:53.15 in the 500-yard freestyle.

Senior Heather Arseth earned Miami some points with a fourth place win in her final of the 100 freestyle, earning an impressive time of 49.94.

“The swimmers were great this weekend,” Kershaw said Saturday night. “They came back tonight and swam even faster than last night. As I told them, this is a direct result of their training.”

As the team improves, they look ahead to their first dual meet on Oct. 25 against Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU).

The meet will prove to be a challenging one, as FGCU has dominated the Miami squad in recent meetings. FGCU beat out Miami in this year’s Pinch-a-Penny All-Florida Invite, winning third compared to Miami’s fifth, and in Miami’s 2013 matchup with the school, the Hurricanes were defeated by FGCU, losing 123 to 175.

The team will be hard at work this week preparing for their fellow South Florida opponent. The meet is in Fort Myers, Florida this Saturday and events are set to begin at 11 a.m.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...