Football, Sports

Upset reopens ACC standings

Assistant head coach and defensive coordinator Mark D'Onofrio fields press questions on Saturday. Neil Dwyer // Contributing Photographer

Assistant head coach and defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio fields press questions on Saturday. Neil Dwyer // Contributing Photographer

An upset in Chapel Hill last weekend: North Carolina beat Georgia Tech at home 48-43, and suddenly the ACC Coastal is seemingly wide open once again.

That’s good news for the 4-3 (1-2 ACC) Miami Hurricanes, who will see their first game action in nearly two weeks as they travel to Blacksburg, Virginia on Thursday to take on the Virginia Tech Hokies, who have an identical record.

The Hokies lost to Pittsburgh in Heinz Field last Thursday 21-16, but were without their three top rushers Marshawn Williams, Trey Edmunds and Shai McKenzie.

Edmunds and McKenzie will still miss the Miami game; Edmunds is out for up to two months with a broken clavicle, and McKenzie suffered a torn ACL during a win over Western Michigan in September. Canes head coach Al Golden still remains cautiously optimistic.

“They’re going to have at least two running backs back when we play this Thursday,” Golden said. “It’s going to be a great challenge for us. We know exactly what we’re getting into, and we expect at least two running backs to be back for them.”

One of the big criticisms from fans and analysts alike is the Canes’ defense, which is eighth of 14 in total sacks this season with 16.

Even in the 55-34 win over Cincinnati on Oct. 11, the defense’s Achilles’ heel began to show later in the game when the second and third teams couldn’t quite slam the door on a big win.

Defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio felt they missed an opportunity to get stronger in a blowout.

“Obviously we wished when we put our second and third group in … that we closed it out better,” D’Onofrio said. “That was an opportunity for us to get our team deeper and get our team healthy, having played seven straight games.”

In particular, the defensive line has taken a lot of heat for simply not being present and quick enough to stop the run, giving up 300 yards twice this season against Nebraska and Georgia Tech. However, D’Onofrio is still confident that the line can show the flashes of excellence like they did in the Duke game, giving up only 85 yards on a rainy night in Miami.

“I think we’re really moving in the right direction,” D’Onofrio said. “Trent Harris has been playing a lot for us this year, Chad Thomas has played a whole lot in the last two games … we went out and got all those guys so we would have the depth that we have and I think they’re all improving.”

The Canes and Hokies kick off at 8 p.m. Thursday in Blacksburg, Va. on ESPN.

Neil Dwyer

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...