Make club memberships more meaningful

As close as the idea of democracy lies to many of our hearts, most of us will readily admit that taking the time to vote on every issue within a student organization would make it almost impossible to get anything done.

But at least one new group on campus does believe that students deserve to have a greater role within their organizations.

No Organization Without Representation (NOWR) was formed in response to a recent decision by SpectrUM’s executive board to change SpectrUM’s name to UPride. Indignant members came together under the name NOWR to push for the public forum they feel this issue deserves.

“Our aim is to have a vote,” said an anonymous source affiliated with NOWR. “Leaders are necessary, but they should represent the people. An organization needs to move together as a whole.”

The situation suggests that, although club officials are presumably elected for their ability to act in the club’s best interests, a certain degree of direct participation by students is necessary to ensure the accurate representation of its membership.

Particularly, clubs with a larger social or political impact must put significant thought into their policy changes, however innocuous these changes may appear at first. By choosing to belong to a certain group, a person makes a statement that his own beliefs are in alignment with those of the group. Even an action as seemingly simple as a name change can alter the way those beliefs are portrayed to the world and risk misrepresenting members.

Ultimately, organizations as a whole should strive to ensure that their members are represented in every way that counts, amplifying student voices rather than drowning them out.

Yet students do not need to rely on established systems to make themselves heard. Grassroots movements like NOWR should serve as a reminder that the ability to advocate one’s beliefs does not hinge solely on existing and established organizations, or even on university approval.

Whatever the outcome of NOWR’s anticipated SpectrUM/UPride vote, our source believes members will be satisfied with the chance to speak their minds.

“This is our organization, and we really care about it,” she said.

Perhaps we should all try to benefit from the satisfaction and fulfillment that comes from admitting and showing that we care.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...