Keep body’s positive aspects in mind

That quick glance in the hallway mirror tells you two things: first, that you can rock a sweater vest, and second, and more importantly, that the body beneath that vest isn’t going anywhere.

Sure, you could drop 10 pounds and transform from winter to summer mode. You could even gain 600 pounds and get a TLC special; please consult your physician first. However, even if you habitually binge and fast, your basic morphology is unchanging.

Your height and frame aren’t as malleable as the rest of you. We all learn this eventually. No matter how much I played basketball, being five-feet-nine-inches kept me out of the professional leagues. This marks a sad divide, one where genetic inheritance defeats skill and perseverance. Okay, I also wasn’t particularly good at basketball, but I prefer to blame genetics.

This mandatory dependence on one’s genome requires us to evaluate our own bodies. Take the good and the bad, and find the sport, exercise plan or lifestyle that suits you specifically.

Now, we need a way to specify. The somatotype test, a method of measuring your body type and fitness, will allow you to better create a practical goal.

The three body types in this method are the ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph.

The ectomorph is someone who loses weight easily, has difficulty adding weight or muscle and has a linear physique. The mesomorph gains and loses weight quickly and tends to have culturally approved proportions. The endomorph often loses weight slowly, gains it quickly and has a softer physique.

Some find these broad categories disheartening, while others find them liberating, but there are positives and negatives to each. The theory is to accentuate those positives.

Gender is an important component when thinking of these types. The slender ectomorph is a prime example. Our culture has flocked to the tall ectomorphic girl for 40 years. The male ectomorph, however, might feel too skinny compared to the muscular male ideal. With a renewed appreciation for athletic women, the mesomorph and endomorph body types are gaining more positive attention.

Unfortunately, it can be easy to laud the mesomorphs and ectomorphs and to forget about the endomorphs. The endomorphs often have the most difficult time aesthetically. Even if you are in comparable shape to the other body types, endomorphs often still look thicker or softer.

But fear not. An ectomorph has an advantage in some sports and in weight training. Any body builder will tell you that fat is necessary to increase strength and size; those who start training having more fat have the potential to become much larger and stronger over similar time frames. Another benefit for athletes is that the naturally higher body fat composition potentially reduces chance of injury.

The moral of the somatotype system isn’t that you are simply cursed or blessed with the body you have. Instead, it can help guide you toward taking advantage of all your type has to offer. Don’t waste time yearning after something that’s genetically impossible. So whether you’re an ectomorph, mesomorph or endomorph, it’s the body you’re stuck with, and you may as well enjoy it.

Spencer Pretecrum is a senior majoring in psychology and creative writing.

Spencer Pretecrum

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...