V's Take

Guide to inter-major conversation

Folks, we’re officially in the home stretch: that glorious time of year when midterms and finals mesh into one conglomerate of stress, and all you can think about is finally going back home for winter break to pretend you care about your high school friends again.

Well, during this time of intense slumber parties in the Stacks, students get so immersed in their studies that they eventually start to feel like they only ever interact with people in their own individual concentration of study.

But have no fear, V is here to help. Here is a list of talking points and conversation starters so you can stay connected and friendly with pupils of some different majors.

School of Nursing

• What’s your favorite floral print to wear on your scrubs?
  • Are you more of a Carla Espinosa or a Paul Flowers?
  • Do the nurse practitioners sit at the “cool” table?
  • What do you think will be better: hospital food or Chartwell’s tasty cuisine?
  • Do you ever find things to laugh at other than doctors?

School of Engineering

• So what’s your excuse for thinking you’re better than everyone else?
  • I tripped on one of your Lego bridges in Stanford one night and broke my ankle. Check, please.
  • What is it like still bragging about your math score on the SAT?
  • You have to take calculus. Thank you for reminding me my life isn’t that bad.
  • Do you have a “Bridge Over Troubled Water” tramp stamp?

RSMAS

• Will they actually find Dory?
  • Have you ever performed coral sex?
  • Are swordfish overcompensating?
  • Is “Sharknado” possible? And if so, can it kill Kim Kardashian?
  • Wait … we have an atmospheric science program?

School of Communication

• I like your hair.
  • Want to know the secret to surviving CEM 245?
  • Hi, I’d like you to meet my friend. His name is textbook. Have you ever met?
  • About how many times have you accidently said your major was pubic relations?
  • Do we have a TV station?

College of Arts and Sciences

• I heard that people pick majors that make money, too.

Advice Columnist

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...