V's Take

Guide to inter-major conversation

Folks, we’re officially in the home stretch: that glorious time of year when midterms and finals mesh into one conglomerate of stress, and all you can think about is finally going back home for winter break to pretend you care about your high school friends again.

Well, during this time of intense slumber parties in the Stacks, students get so immersed in their studies that they eventually start to feel like they only ever interact with people in their own individual concentration of study.

But have no fear, V is here to help. Here is a list of talking points and conversation starters so you can stay connected and friendly with pupils of some different majors.

School of Nursing

• What’s your favorite floral print to wear on your scrubs?
  • Are you more of a Carla Espinosa or a Paul Flowers?
  • Do the nurse practitioners sit at the “cool” table?
  • What do you think will be better: hospital food or Chartwell’s tasty cuisine?
  • Do you ever find things to laugh at other than doctors?

School of Engineering

• So what’s your excuse for thinking you’re better than everyone else?
  • I tripped on one of your Lego bridges in Stanford one night and broke my ankle. Check, please.
  • What is it like still bragging about your math score on the SAT?
  • You have to take calculus. Thank you for reminding me my life isn’t that bad.
  • Do you have a “Bridge Over Troubled Water” tramp stamp?

RSMAS

• Will they actually find Dory?
  • Have you ever performed coral sex?
  • Are swordfish overcompensating?
  • Is “Sharknado” possible? And if so, can it kill Kim Kardashian?
  • Wait … we have an atmospheric science program?

School of Communication

• I like your hair.
  • Want to know the secret to surviving CEM 245?
  • Hi, I’d like you to meet my friend. His name is textbook. Have you ever met?
  • About how many times have you accidently said your major was pubic relations?
  • Do we have a TV station?

College of Arts and Sciences

• I heard that people pick majors that make money, too.

Advice Columnist

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...