Edge, Featured

Cult classic creeps back on campus

Design by Emma Deardorff

Design by Emma Deardorff

Before next week’s Homecoming and Halloween festivities, students will have a chance to bust out their corsets and fishnet stockings to experience virgin sacrifices, sweet transvestites and the “Time Warp.”

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is coming to campus with performances Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. Quantum Entertainment (QE), with the Cinematic Arts Commission (CAC), will be running its annual shadow cast production of the adaptation of the 1975 musical comedy horror film at the Cosford Cinema.

This will be the first time in more than five years that the performance will not be held on Halloween, its traditional running date, because it would conflict with Homecoming.

The show is an opportunity for all students to express their truest selves, according to sophomore Tyler Felts, QE chair.

“Most of the audience is very interactive, and you can be completely free, you can wear whatever you want and don’t feel judged by anyone else, because everyone else is as crazy as you are,” Felts said.

Felts believes the film gained popularity because of the fan participation. Dressing up as a character from the movie and shouting out key lines has become part of the cult-classic tradition.

Junior Lissa Mandell, one of the show’s dancers, explained how dedication and an open mind are all it takes to be part of this “weird and fun” student-run show.

“As long as you’re confident, you can learn to look sexy, and the audience will like it,” said Mandell, a psychology and computer science major. “As long as you really want to do it, and you’re dedicated, anyone can do it.”

The show’s dancers are mostly responsible for keeping the audience engaged, performing as Transylvanians and preparing some surprises for the audience, including lap dances.

“Virgin” is a term coined by Rocky Horror to describe first-time audience members. Virgin rituals are performed at every show and are meant to integrate newcomers into the Rocky Horror community. The ritual can range from having them sport virgin-specific lipstick, to standing on stage in a number of sexually suggestive situations.

For the past few years “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” has had a full house every night, and Robert Pinney, chair of CAC, expects the same results this year.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show performance begins at midnight. Thursday’s pre-show will begin at 10:15 p.m. Friday and Saturday the pre-show will start at 11:00 p.m.

Alejandra Meneses

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...