Campus Life, Featured, News, Student Organization

Organization highlights statewide drug policy

On Nov. 4, Florida voters will decide the fate of The Florida Right to Medical Marijuana Initiative, also known as Amendment 2, that, if passed, would allow Florida residents with debilitating medical conditions to use medical marijuana.

In light of this, groups such the University of Miami’s chapter of Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP), an international grassroots organization pushing for education and policy reform, are aiming to inform voters.

“If there is a treatment that could make someone’s debilitating condition more bearable, it should be available,” said Micah Nellessen, president of UM’s SSDP chapter. “Marijuana has a stigma, but we have an overwhelming aging population with conditions that medical marijuana could alleviate.”

The club is promoting the “Yes On 2” campaign in an effort to gather support and encourage votes for Amendment 2.

SSDP is the face of the United for Care campaign on more than 15 different campuses in the state of Florida. United for Care is a campaign run by People United for Medical Marijuana that petitioned to put Amendment 2 on this year’s ballot. At UM, the club has tabled in the UC Breezeway to register students to vote in the elections.

According to the Florida Department of State, people who have cancer, glaucoma, hepatitis C, epilepsy, HIV/AIDS, Parkinson’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Crohn’s disease and other conditions would be able to use medical marijuana.

SSDP will host a banquet at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Student Activities Center Ballroom West to share awareness and information about the amendment. A United for Care representative as well as medical marijuana patients will speak at the event.

“Everyone should vote yes on Amendment 2 because nobody should be treated like a criminal for using a plant that has been scientifically proven to treat a huge variety of debilitating medical conditions with virtually no side effects or risks,” said Colin Fitz, the Florida Campus Coordinator with SSDP.

Apart from advocating the “Yes On 2” campaign, SSDP has been pushing for a good Samaritan policy at UM. This policy would allow students to call for help if someone is overdosing without fear of getting in trouble with administration or the police.

Students interested in joining SSDP can get connected through the organization’s Facebook page, SSDP at University of Miami, or on OrgSync. The club meets at 6:30 p.m. every Tuesday in UC 207.

This story was updated at 5:20 p.m. Wednesday.

Featured image courtesy of Cannabis Training University via Wikimedia Commons.

Vivian Garcia

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...