Campus Life, Featured, News, Student Organization

Organization highlights statewide drug policy

On Nov. 4, Florida voters will decide the fate of The Florida Right to Medical Marijuana Initiative, also known as Amendment 2, that, if passed, would allow Florida residents with debilitating medical conditions to use medical marijuana.

In light of this, groups such the University of Miami’s chapter of Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP), an international grassroots organization pushing for education and policy reform, are aiming to inform voters.

“If there is a treatment that could make someone’s debilitating condition more bearable, it should be available,” said Micah Nellessen, president of UM’s SSDP chapter. “Marijuana has a stigma, but we have an overwhelming aging population with conditions that medical marijuana could alleviate.”

The club is promoting the “Yes On 2” campaign in an effort to gather support and encourage votes for Amendment 2.

SSDP is the face of the United for Care campaign on more than 15 different campuses in the state of Florida. United for Care is a campaign run by People United for Medical Marijuana that petitioned to put Amendment 2 on this year’s ballot. At UM, the club has tabled in the UC Breezeway to register students to vote in the elections.

According to the Florida Department of State, people who have cancer, glaucoma, hepatitis C, epilepsy, HIV/AIDS, Parkinson’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Crohn’s disease and other conditions would be able to use medical marijuana.

SSDP will host a banquet at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Student Activities Center Ballroom West to share awareness and information about the amendment. A United for Care representative as well as medical marijuana patients will speak at the event.

“Everyone should vote yes on Amendment 2 because nobody should be treated like a criminal for using a plant that has been scientifically proven to treat a huge variety of debilitating medical conditions with virtually no side effects or risks,” said Colin Fitz, the Florida Campus Coordinator with SSDP.

Apart from advocating the “Yes On 2” campaign, SSDP has been pushing for a good Samaritan policy at UM. This policy would allow students to call for help if someone is overdosing without fear of getting in trouble with administration or the police.

Students interested in joining SSDP can get connected through the organization’s Facebook page, SSDP at University of Miami, or on OrgSync. The club meets at 6:30 p.m. every Tuesday in UC 207.

This story was updated at 5:20 p.m. Wednesday.

Featured image courtesy of Cannabis Training University via Wikimedia Commons.

Vivian Garcia

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...