Edge, Featured, Movies

Cosford Cinema upgrades to 3D technology

Photo by Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

A projector in Cosford Cinema. Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

The Cosford Cinema unveiled new 3D technology that is now available on the campus theater. A special kickoff took place prior to the showcase of “The Lego Movie” where faculty members Patricia Whitely and Paul Driscoll cut a ribbon celebrating the inauguration of the new upgrade.

After the release of “The Lego Movie,” Robert Pinney, chair of the Cinematic Arts Commission, said students were “surprised to learn we had the capability” and that they had loved it and that he himself was extremely excited for the rest of the semester’s showcases.

According to Pinney, the need to improve the Cosford cinema’s platform arises from the industry change. He also explained that movie reels are now smaller, which also requires a smaller hard drive. He added that the only way to offer current movies on campus is by keeping up with technology and switching to a digital format. Part of the new digital format includes a higher technology projector and the ability to reproduce 3D movies.

“It’s great they made it 3D because all the most important contemporary film is getting made in that format, so it will allow us to look at new important film in the way it was meant to be appreciated,” said junior Juan Bisono, a motion pictures major.

The new projector was installed to give the best viewing experience to the patrons of the Cosford. The new equipment projects in 4K 3D, one of the most advanced projectors on the market. It also creates a bright and crystal clear image, as Cosford Cinema Director Robert DeLellis explained.

The Cosford Cinema has become one of the few venues that can still present archival material in the reel-to-reel format, since they maintained two 35mm projectors. Through the Cosford Classics Series, the cinema will continue to showcase classic films on celluloid. Last month, it screened “Sherlock Jr”. starring Buster Keaton with a live musical accompaniment from the Frost School of Music.

Senior Christina Degur, a motion pictures major, said the Cosford Cinema can now offer a different movie experience.

“Sometimes college students decide not to see a 3D movie in theatres because of the expensive price, and now students can watch them for free,” Degur said. “Also, it makes the Cosford Cinema more innovative. As technology advances, the University of Miami has to keep up.”

Some of the advantages of this new technology are not only better performance and higher definition movies, but also release privileges. Pinney said that with the new platform the Cosford Cinema will be able to obtain more frequently unreleased movies to be played on campus.

Pinney also revealed what the 3D calendar will look like for the rest of the semester:  “How to Train Your Dragon 2” will screen Nov. 19 and 22, and “Guardians of the Galaxy” will screen Dec. 3 and 6. For more information, visit cosfordcinema.com.

Alejandra Meneses

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...