Edge, Reviews, Theater

‘The Intergalactic Nemesis’ dazzles with stellar performance

Radio drama has had a strange resurgence in the recent past. “Welcome to Nightvale,” the offbeat, dark and always funny adventure, has become one of America’s most listened to podcasts. The University of Miami’s very own radio station, WVUM, dazzled listeners with it’s short fiction program, “Pure Imagination.” And now, the grand tradition of audio drama is continued in front of a live studio audience by the spectacular “Intergalactic Nemesis: Target Earth!” from the South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center.

Simply calling it audio drama wouldn’t quite do the show justice. As the actors deliver their gloriously pulpy lines, beautiful comic art zips around a movie screen behind them, an improvised score is whipped up in front of your eyes and mundane objects become spectacular when used to create sound effects on the stage. It’s like a three-ring circus, giving the audience sensory overload with so many parts, but most appreciated as a cohesive whole.

The voices, provided by a team of three people, are spectacular. They are reminiscent of when our parents read stories to us as children with different voices for all of the characters. The actors do a spectacular job of keeping the voices varied, a necessity when a cast of more than 20 characters must be portrayed by only three actors.

The sound effects created a sort of nostalgia as the stage operator dashed about her table, grinding cinder blocks and revving up toy cars and shaking boxes of pasta into microphones like a professional version of playing pretend. The music helps tie the show together with jazzy motifs being improvised on, swelling with the audience’s cheers and highlighting fan-favorite elements of the show.

The plot is fairly simple and deals in stock characters. The plucky reporter Molly Sloan and her nebbish assistant Timmy Mendez (think Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen) team up with mysterious librarian Ben Wilcott, and they zoom around earth and beyond, fighting off assorted threats in an effort to defeat the Zygon empire’s hideous aliens made of sludge.

The plot revels in its constant leaps of logic and use of deus ex machina, a sudden solution to a previously impossible problem. The prime example is the introduction of a hitherto unmentioned robot planet, named, of course, “The Robot Planet,” that left the audience in stitches. Peppered throughout, however, are enough references to ’30s pop culture and homages to other classic stories that the show gains a certain sophistication. It acts as a salute, warts and all, to America’s favorite form of entertainment prior to TV.

The audience is invited to cheer and boo and hiss along with the show, leading all members to embrace its child-like insanity. Though in the beginning the audience was shy, by the end they were gasping along with every plot twist, no matter how silly or predictable, and viciously booing every appearance of Mysterion the Magnificent, an absurd hypnosis-themed supervillain whose every scene contained pure comedic gold.

The show – if one can even classify the glorious madness that occurred with as simple a word as “show” – was pure fun from beginning to end. Audiences left the theater begging staff to book them again next year for the sequel, the ominously titled “Robot Planet Rising.”  And at just $5 a ticket when purchased through the Culture Shock program, there is no excuse for students not to go. Exciting, funny and nostalgic, “The Intergalactic Nemesis” is a delight for all who see it.

Blake Weil

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...