Edge, Movies, Reviews

Holocaust fact, fiction face off in ‘The Soap Myth’

It’s a gruesome question, but one that captures the horror of the era. It turns the stomach and boggles the mind. And the horrifying fact is that it’s still argued about today.

Did the Nazi’s make soap out of their victims?​ That’s the question, not answered, but explored by “The Soap Myth,” a filmed play screened Oct. 7 at the Cosford Cinema.  The screening celebrated the debut of the new digital Holocaust Theater Catalog and the first time Holocaust cinema has had a permanent home.

The film follows Annie Blumberg, a reporter attempting to separate fact from fiction, as she hears numerous conflicting accounts about the Nazi use of victims’ corpses. Nazis, prisoners of war and survivors alike have attested that during World War II, the Nazis produced soap from human flesh. Yet the lack of concrete documentation leaves the scholars in the play to argue that, despite almost certain veracity, due to the lack of evidence, any claims would be used as ammunition by Holocaust deniers. From there stem the play’s central arguments: should we embrace the truth if we know it will only hurt us? Who gets to decide the truth? And what do we do to fight those who seek to distort it?

Speaking of those that would distort it, special mention must go to the writing of the character Brenda Goodsen. Her absolutely vile nature highlights the ugly truth that is antisemitism and also manages to show the seductive face it puts on for the world.

Solid performances are abound in the play. With only four actors, the movie keeps a lean, fast pace and manages to be engaging on an intellectual level without being dull or preaching. It should be said that it is not a fun movie, though. Theatergoers left drained, yet improved, from the experience.

The film is currently available online and is also being broadcast nationally by PBS. A powerful and moving work, “The Soap Myth” is a triumph and a worthy opening piece for the new Holocaust Theater Catalog.

Blake Weil

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...