Edge, Music, Reviews

Indie band Foster the People brings pop, dazzle to Miami Beach

Silhouetted against rainbow-colored lights, indie-pop band Foster the People performed their first song, “Pseudologia Fantastica,” at The Fillmore Miami Beach on Thursday night.

The band delivered one high-energy number after another, keeping audience members on their feet from the first notes to the final drumbeats of the encore. The sold-out performance featured songs from  “Torches” and the band’s latest album, “Supermodel,” which was released in March.

Before they hit the stage, French singer and musician Soko took her turn in the spotlight. Despite the dark quality to some of her songs, the French actress-turned-singer was energetic and bubbly, laughing and dancing as she performed. She even called some fans onstage during the title song from her first album, “I Thought I was an Alien” to help animate the crowd.

Then, Foster the People took the stage, bringing the crowd’s energy level to new highs. After the opening number, the band switched to an older tune with “Miss You,” captivating the audience with front man Mark Foster’s sweet high notes.

The next song, “Life on the Nickel,” was catchy and upbeat despite the repeated line, “yet again I’m hustling, hustling, hustling.”

Foster commanded the stage the whole time, moving from one end to the other and stopping to address the audience between numbers.

“Music is the one thing that brings all sorts of people together,” he said, urging crowd members to appreciate the unity that is formed through music.

The band was consistent throughout the show, with high energy levels and interesting light displays to accompany each number. However, the sound system sometimes made it hard to hear the lyrics clearly. Despite this, the crowd sang along, throwing their hands in the air for their favorite songs.

Crowd favorites included classics like “Helena Beat,” “Call it What You Want” and, of course, “Pumped Up Kicks,” which they performed near the end with an electronics-heavy opening. During “Helena Beat,” beams of white light flashed over the audience like searchlights combing the crowd.

Right before the last song, Foster took another minute to address the audience, stressing the vital role the next generation will play.

“I see hope in you guys,” he said.

Audience members went wild for the final song, “Don’t Stop,” singing along to the popular tune. The second the band left the stage, the crowd began cheering for an encore. Band members re-entered to perform the haunting ballad, “The Truth.”

To finish out the night, each member exited the stage until only the drummers remained as lights flashed and the audience went wild.

For more information about Foster the People, visit fosterthepeople.com.

Marlee Lisker

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...