Edge, Music, Reviews

Indie band Foster the People brings pop, dazzle to Miami Beach

Silhouetted against rainbow-colored lights, indie-pop band Foster the People performed their first song, “Pseudologia Fantastica,” at The Fillmore Miami Beach on Thursday night.

The band delivered one high-energy number after another, keeping audience members on their feet from the first notes to the final drumbeats of the encore. The sold-out performance featured songs from  “Torches” and the band’s latest album, “Supermodel,” which was released in March.

Before they hit the stage, French singer and musician Soko took her turn in the spotlight. Despite the dark quality to some of her songs, the French actress-turned-singer was energetic and bubbly, laughing and dancing as she performed. She even called some fans onstage during the title song from her first album, “I Thought I was an Alien” to help animate the crowd.

Then, Foster the People took the stage, bringing the crowd’s energy level to new highs. After the opening number, the band switched to an older tune with “Miss You,” captivating the audience with front man Mark Foster’s sweet high notes.

The next song, “Life on the Nickel,” was catchy and upbeat despite the repeated line, “yet again I’m hustling, hustling, hustling.”

Foster commanded the stage the whole time, moving from one end to the other and stopping to address the audience between numbers.

“Music is the one thing that brings all sorts of people together,” he said, urging crowd members to appreciate the unity that is formed through music.

The band was consistent throughout the show, with high energy levels and interesting light displays to accompany each number. However, the sound system sometimes made it hard to hear the lyrics clearly. Despite this, the crowd sang along, throwing their hands in the air for their favorite songs.

Crowd favorites included classics like “Helena Beat,” “Call it What You Want” and, of course, “Pumped Up Kicks,” which they performed near the end with an electronics-heavy opening. During “Helena Beat,” beams of white light flashed over the audience like searchlights combing the crowd.

Right before the last song, Foster took another minute to address the audience, stressing the vital role the next generation will play.

“I see hope in you guys,” he said.

Audience members went wild for the final song, “Don’t Stop,” singing along to the popular tune. The second the band left the stage, the crowd began cheering for an encore. Band members re-entered to perform the haunting ballad, “The Truth.”

To finish out the night, each member exited the stage until only the drummers remained as lights flashed and the audience went wild.

For more information about Foster the People, visit fosterthepeople.com.

Marlee Lisker

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...