Edge, Music, Q & A + Profiles

French singer Soko talks about new album, career

Self-taught singer and instrumentalist Soko traveled to Miami Beach Thursday to perform a show with Foster the People at The Fillmore Miami Beach.

Soko, a French native, began her career as an actress in France at the age of 16. She then made the jump to music, releasing her first full-length album “I Thought I Was an Alien” in 2012. She grabbed listeners’ attention with her soulful, haunting sound in songs such as “We Might Be Dead Tomorrow,” which was featured in the viral YouTube video “First Kiss.” Soko also participated as one of the 20 people featured in the video.

Now, she is touring the U.S. and in the process of recording her second CD, “My Dreams Dictate My Reality.” Soko spoke to The Miami Hurricane about her decision to pursue music, evolving sound and goals moving forward.

The Miami Hurricane: I see you began your career as an actress. How did you make the jump from acting to music?

Soko: I started acting when I was 16, and I guess I was sort of bored and needed something that made me feel a bit more independent and creative on my own. Since I was such a music nerd and writing all the time and obsessing over music and making up songs in my head all the time, it just made sense to dedicate it a little more time. And it soon became absolutely vital.

TMH: Do you think your background as an actress has had an impact on your music?

S: Well, I’m not scared to open up and be fully true with my music; I can’t lie with it. [It’s the] same as acting and wanting to be as true as possible, so I guess that helps. I’m always really raw and honest and in pain when I play music. I feel it really hard.

TMH: Who would you say are your biggest musical influences?

S: Robert Smith and Morrissey

TMH: How would you describe your music?

S: Dreamy goth punk, new wave-y, dark, sad, personal stuff.

TMH: Where do you get inspiration for your lyrics?

S: In the deep end of my dark, wasted mind, and whatever problems I need to unload down to paper and remember forever into a song.

TMH: How do you think your new album, ‘My Dreams Dictate My Reality’ differs from your first CD?

S: Well, it’s produced by Ross Robinson. It’s a lot more punky, ’80’s sounding. It still has very dark lyrics, but sounds sort of more upbeat. [There is] a lot of reverb and chorus-y guitars and [it’s] more epic.

TMH: What are your goals moving forward?

S: Being able to write and record and perform music always and forever. And [to]make more movies, and direct more videos, and get married and have babies and tons of kittens.

Learn more about Soko and where she’s touring next at s-o-k-o.com.

Marlee Lisker

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...