Edge, Music, Q & A + Profiles

French singer Soko talks about new album, career

Self-taught singer and instrumentalist Soko traveled to Miami Beach Thursday to perform a show with Foster the People at The Fillmore Miami Beach.

Soko, a French native, began her career as an actress in France at the age of 16. She then made the jump to music, releasing her first full-length album “I Thought I Was an Alien” in 2012. She grabbed listeners’ attention with her soulful, haunting sound in songs such as “We Might Be Dead Tomorrow,” which was featured in the viral YouTube video “First Kiss.” Soko also participated as one of the 20 people featured in the video.

Now, she is touring the U.S. and in the process of recording her second CD, “My Dreams Dictate My Reality.” Soko spoke to The Miami Hurricane about her decision to pursue music, evolving sound and goals moving forward.

The Miami Hurricane: I see you began your career as an actress. How did you make the jump from acting to music?

Soko: I started acting when I was 16, and I guess I was sort of bored and needed something that made me feel a bit more independent and creative on my own. Since I was such a music nerd and writing all the time and obsessing over music and making up songs in my head all the time, it just made sense to dedicate it a little more time. And it soon became absolutely vital.

TMH: Do you think your background as an actress has had an impact on your music?

S: Well, I’m not scared to open up and be fully true with my music; I can’t lie with it. [It’s the] same as acting and wanting to be as true as possible, so I guess that helps. I’m always really raw and honest and in pain when I play music. I feel it really hard.

TMH: Who would you say are your biggest musical influences?

S: Robert Smith and Morrissey

TMH: How would you describe your music?

S: Dreamy goth punk, new wave-y, dark, sad, personal stuff.

TMH: Where do you get inspiration for your lyrics?

S: In the deep end of my dark, wasted mind, and whatever problems I need to unload down to paper and remember forever into a song.

TMH: How do you think your new album, ‘My Dreams Dictate My Reality’ differs from your first CD?

S: Well, it’s produced by Ross Robinson. It’s a lot more punky, ’80’s sounding. It still has very dark lyrics, but sounds sort of more upbeat. [There is] a lot of reverb and chorus-y guitars and [it’s] more epic.

TMH: What are your goals moving forward?

S: Being able to write and record and perform music always and forever. And [to]make more movies, and direct more videos, and get married and have babies and tons of kittens.

Learn more about Soko and where she’s touring next at s-o-k-o.com.

Marlee Lisker

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...