Sports Briefs 10/16

Women’s Basketball

Head Coach Katie Meier’s contract has been extended through the 2021 season, but she will be giving some of that money right back.

The Duke alumna announced immediately after that she will donate $75,000 to the University of Miami’s woman’s athletics.

This is an effort to challenge South Florida and demonstrate support for female sports and the Hurricanes. So far, the school has already netted $500,000 in donations – including the single biggest gift in UM’s women’s sports history.

Coach Meier will continue her regime Nov. 14 at the Bank United Center against Oakland.

Volleyball

The Volleyball squad will play its annual “Dig Pink” match Friday at the Knight Sports Complex against Virginia Tech – almost a week after the football fans did the same.

This annual event raises awareness and shows support for curing breast cancer. T-shirts with the “Dig Pink” logo can be purchased at the game for $10. All proceeds go to the UM Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Danny New may be emailed at dnew@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...