Sports, Volleyball

Record-setting captain earns ACC Player of the Week title

Photo Courtesy Hurricanesports.com

Photo Courtesy Hurricanesports.com

The ACC announced that senior Savanah Leaf was selected as ACC Player of the Week on Tuesday, two days after she served as a key player in Miami’s 2-0 weekend.

The University of Miami has won an ACC weekly award for three weeks in a row. Freshman setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Freshman of the Week on Sept. 29 and Oct. 6.

Leaf tops the ACC with 4.47 kills per set. Leaf leads the Hurricanes with 279 kills. She dominated with 25 kills and 14 digs in a four-set win over Syracuse, making her sixth double-double of the season.

“I am really grateful for the recognition,” Leaf said. “It really means a lot to me because it means that I am doing my job well. I haven’t received it before, so it is really exciting.”

Leaf has been a key player along with Templeton and redshirt senior, Emani Sims, in this year’s successful season.

“I am really happy for Savanah,” head coach Jose “Keno” Gandara said. “She is having a great season. She does so many things for this team on the court. Savanah is not only our kill leader, but she is also one of our primary passers.

Savanah also has a great serve and is one of our best blockers. She is playing volleyball at a high level and is getting more and more consistent week to week. She had another good week and she knows this team needs that from her as a senior captain.”

Leaf set the record for most kills by a Cane at the Knight Sports Complex and tied Karla Johnson for most kills by a Cane in a single match. Johnson set the record on Sept. 3, 2005 against Houston.

Courtney Fiorini

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...