Sports, Volleyball

Record-setting captain earns ACC Player of the Week title

Photo Courtesy Hurricanesports.com

Photo Courtesy Hurricanesports.com

The ACC announced that senior Savanah Leaf was selected as ACC Player of the Week on Tuesday, two days after she served as a key player in Miami’s 2-0 weekend.

The University of Miami has won an ACC weekly award for three weeks in a row. Freshman setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Freshman of the Week on Sept. 29 and Oct. 6.

Leaf tops the ACC with 4.47 kills per set. Leaf leads the Hurricanes with 279 kills. She dominated with 25 kills and 14 digs in a four-set win over Syracuse, making her sixth double-double of the season.

“I am really grateful for the recognition,” Leaf said. “It really means a lot to me because it means that I am doing my job well. I haven’t received it before, so it is really exciting.”

Leaf has been a key player along with Templeton and redshirt senior, Emani Sims, in this year’s successful season.

“I am really happy for Savanah,” head coach Jose “Keno” Gandara said. “She is having a great season. She does so many things for this team on the court. Savanah is not only our kill leader, but she is also one of our primary passers.

Savanah also has a great serve and is one of our best blockers. She is playing volleyball at a high level and is getting more and more consistent week to week. She had another good week and she knows this team needs that from her as a senior captain.”

Leaf set the record for most kills by a Cane at the Knight Sports Complex and tied Karla Johnson for most kills by a Cane in a single match. Johnson set the record on Sept. 3, 2005 against Houston.

Courtney Fiorini

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...