Sports, Volleyball

Record-setting captain earns ACC Player of the Week title

Photo Courtesy Hurricanesports.com

Photo Courtesy Hurricanesports.com

The ACC announced that senior Savanah Leaf was selected as ACC Player of the Week on Tuesday, two days after she served as a key player in Miami’s 2-0 weekend.

The University of Miami has won an ACC weekly award for three weeks in a row. Freshman setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Freshman of the Week on Sept. 29 and Oct. 6.

Leaf tops the ACC with 4.47 kills per set. Leaf leads the Hurricanes with 279 kills. She dominated with 25 kills and 14 digs in a four-set win over Syracuse, making her sixth double-double of the season.

“I am really grateful for the recognition,” Leaf said. “It really means a lot to me because it means that I am doing my job well. I haven’t received it before, so it is really exciting.”

Leaf has been a key player along with Templeton and redshirt senior, Emani Sims, in this year’s successful season.

“I am really happy for Savanah,” head coach Jose “Keno” Gandara said. “She is having a great season. She does so many things for this team on the court. Savanah is not only our kill leader, but she is also one of our primary passers.

Savanah also has a great serve and is one of our best blockers. She is playing volleyball at a high level and is getting more and more consistent week to week. She had another good week and she knows this team needs that from her as a senior captain.”

Leaf set the record for most kills by a Cane at the Knight Sports Complex and tied Karla Johnson for most kills by a Cane in a single match. Johnson set the record on Sept. 3, 2005 against Houston.

Courtney Fiorini

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...