News Briefs 10/16

David Coleman, the “Dating Doctor,” offers students dating and relationship advise during his show. Student Government and Hurricane Productions hosted the event Tuesday night in the SAC Ballrooms. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

UStop Diabetes

Sponsored by the University of Miami School of Nursing and Health Studies and the American Diabetes Association, the second annual UStop Diabetes event will be raising awareness with diabetes screenings, fitness activities, healthy cooking demonstrations and healthy snacks. The awareness event is free and open to the public, and will be held from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Oct. 22 at the Lakeside Patio.

Kathakali Dance Performance

A three-man troupe touring U.S. universities to perform Kathakali, a traditional dance of India, will be making a stop at the University of Miami. The performance consists of using facial expressions and gestures to tell stories, along with elaborate costumes and dramatic makeup. At 10:30 a.m. on Oct. 22, the performers will be having a makeup demonstration in Room 211 of the University Center, followed by a performance at 12:30 p.m. at the Lakeside Patio.

“American Promise” Screening

Sundance award-winning documentary “American Promise,” which addresses race in the American school system, will be screened at 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 23 at the Cosford Cinema. The film follows two African-American boys as they enter one of the most prestigious private schools in the country. The event, hosted by the University of Miami School of Law, will be followed with a lecture by the film’s director in the Student Activities Center Senate Room.

Homecoming Opening Ceremonies

Homecoming kicks off at 6 p.m. on Oct. 23 at the Lakeside Patio. The festivities will begin with the Opening Ceremony, featuring a screening of “Ratatouille,” and student organizations will compete for best dessert, presentation and costumes in the competition, “Cooking Up Some []_[] Spirit.” Food will be provided.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...