Edge, Travel

Key Biscayne: Miami’s ‘hidden treasure’

A massive bridge propels visitors into clear blue skies, making it seem like there is no land – just water and sun. With the hectic city life out of sight, suddenly the white sand and peaceful shores become more alluring as guests soar above Biscayne Bay and down into a getaway paradise known as the islands of Virginia Key and Key Biscayne.

The ocean and a bridge are all that detach these barrier islands from the rest of Miami, giving them the feel of a faraway haven, despite being only 15 minutes from campus.

Senior Gabriella Canal explained that since the island is separate from the rest of Miami, the feelings she gets from visiting its beaches are pure bliss and relaxation.

“Knowing that not every single tourist will be invading the beaches and streets makes me really comfortable and at peace,” Canal said. “I go to Key Biscayne because it’s a paradise within another busier paradise, and I do so when I want to get away, but not so far away.”

Enclosed by Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park and Crandon Park, the 1.4-square-mile island is surrounded by an invigorating mass of nature and water, making it ideal for recreational activities.

Beyond the beaches and parks, the island is home to various local dining and shopping options.

The two most exclusive spots are those inside Bill Baggs Park: Boater’s Grill and Lighthouse Cafe, both of which overlook the extravagant skyline of Biscayne Bay.

In the past few years, Key Biscayne has seen an influx of international residents, making the island a cultural hub of traditions and customs, thus leading to more diverse dining options.

The island has also raised the bar in terms of coffee shops and traditional French boulangeries, housing more than four coffee houses that offer classic French pastries and delicacies until late in the afternoon.

Visiting these patisseries has become an islander tradition, making these spots social centers for daily gossip and chitchat.

Kari Madera, a realtor who moved to the island from Hawaii 33 years ago, explained that Key Biscayne is attractive because of its diversity in activities, cultures, traditions and natural surroundings. She went on to describe what makes the island a true gem.

“The island has no through traffic, it is safe, it has numerous amenities and it makes you feel like you live in an oasis, but just 20 minutes away from true civilization,” Madera said.

It is true the island might eventually loose its charm as it becomes more popular, but for now it remains a hidden treasure within the busy streets of manic Miami.

Donatela Vacca

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...