News, Science and Technology

First online degree program launches

As the popularity of online classes and web-based academic tools increases, educational communities aim to keep up with the digital trends.

On Sept. 29, the University of Miami opened up applications for its first fully-online degree program, UOnline. The program offers tracks for master’s degrees in finance through the School of Business Administration and sport administration through the School of Education and Human Development beginning January 2015.

The program is geared toward working professionals seeking further professional development and skill diversification. The academic programs are based on campus curricula that have been tailored and streamlined to provide flexibility without compromising the quality of education.

“The programs have the same standards as the on-the-ground programs,” said William Green, senior vice provost and dean of undergraduate education. “Regular faculty members who are teaching the on-the-ground courses will be instructing UOnline courses.”

The new online courses will offer interactive learning open to prospective graduate students from around the world, whether they are a UM alumni or a new student.

Last year, a special task force co-chaired by Green and Mitsunori Ogihara of the Computer Science department was appointed to oversee the implementation of UOnline. It included representatives of the Faculty Senate, the administration and Student Government. Comprehensive surveys were conducted to assess community interest in an online program.

The UOnline program is the result of consultation between UM and Laureate Education, a worldwide online education provider based in Baltimore, Maryland. Course designers worked with UM faculty to develop the online classes.

This project marks a significant shift toward increased online learning on campus, according to Green. The goals were to expand UOnline to offer more programs in the future and that the possibility of fully-online undergraduate degrees “had to be explored,” Green said.

Junior Soha Khedkar, a double major in economics and health sector management and policy, recognizes the possibilities this program will provide.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to allow working individuals based anywhere to earn a master’s degree, and I’m excited to see it expand …” she said.

UOnline’s programs cost $43,500 for a master’s in finance and $53,700 for a master’s in sports administration. UM will offer up to 30 percent in financial assistance in the forms of tuition reduction and merit scholarships.

Online applications are currently available at online.miami.edu upon request. The programs are currently pending accreditation from Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...