Four athletes named ACC Players of the Week

The Canes can boast about their athletic successes this week.

Three football players and one women’s volleyball player were honored with ACC Player of the Week Monday. Miami had the most players recognized in football this week.

Senior Phillip Dorsett was selected as the ACC Receiver of the Week, junior Tyriq McCord as ACC Co-Linebacker of the Week and freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya was ACC Rookie of the Week.

Outside hitter Savanah Leaf was recognized for outstanding performance in this past weekend’s two away games against Syracuse University and Boston College.

This comes on the heels of a convincing 55-34 win over Cincinnati Saturday.

This is Dorsett’s second Player of the Week honor this season. The wide receiver also surpassed 100 receiving yards twice this season. He caught three passes for 143 yards and a 79-yard receiving touchdown in the third quarter, the longest of his career, during Saturday’s game.

McCord made his first career interception return for a touchdown, two tackles and a sack at Saturday’s game.

“It was an amazing feeling. This was my first pick six,” he said after the Cincinnati game. “You don’t get those opportunities on defense.”

Rookie Kaaya had 200 passing  yards for the fifth game in a row. He completed the game with 286 passing yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. 

“Just taking care of the ball, whether it’s proper exchange or good decisions,” he said after Saturday’s game. “That was an emphasis this week.”

Dorsett, McCord and Kaaya were not able to comment at the time of publication because there was no media availability the week of fall break.

Courtney Fiorini

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

The Hurricanes made a ninth inning rally, but came up just short to No. 5 NC State, 7-6. ...

Kevin Arreaga of the University of Miami track and field team won the men's hammer throw on Sat ...

The Hurricanes received two key signatures from transfers in December's early signing period. ...

The Hurricanes travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to battle the 11th-ranked Tar Heels. ...