Four athletes named ACC Players of the Week

The Canes can boast about their athletic successes this week.

Three football players and one women’s volleyball player were honored with ACC Player of the Week Monday. Miami had the most players recognized in football this week.

Senior Phillip Dorsett was selected as the ACC Receiver of the Week, junior Tyriq McCord as ACC Co-Linebacker of the Week and freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya was ACC Rookie of the Week.

Outside hitter Savanah Leaf was recognized for outstanding performance in this past weekend’s two away games against Syracuse University and Boston College.

This comes on the heels of a convincing 55-34 win over Cincinnati Saturday.

This is Dorsett’s second Player of the Week honor this season. The wide receiver also surpassed 100 receiving yards twice this season. He caught three passes for 143 yards and a 79-yard receiving touchdown in the third quarter, the longest of his career, during Saturday’s game.

McCord made his first career interception return for a touchdown, two tackles and a sack at Saturday’s game.

“It was an amazing feeling. This was my first pick six,” he said after the Cincinnati game. “You don’t get those opportunities on defense.”

Rookie Kaaya had 200 passing  yards for the fifth game in a row. He completed the game with 286 passing yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. 

“Just taking care of the ball, whether it’s proper exchange or good decisions,” he said after Saturday’s game. “That was an emphasis this week.”

Dorsett, McCord and Kaaya were not able to comment at the time of publication because there was no media availability the week of fall break.

Courtney Fiorini

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...