Four athletes named ACC Players of the Week

The Canes can boast about their athletic successes this week.

Three football players and one women’s volleyball player were honored with ACC Player of the Week Monday. Miami had the most players recognized in football this week.

Senior Phillip Dorsett was selected as the ACC Receiver of the Week, junior Tyriq McCord as ACC Co-Linebacker of the Week and freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya was ACC Rookie of the Week.

Outside hitter Savanah Leaf was recognized for outstanding performance in this past weekend’s two away games against Syracuse University and Boston College.

This comes on the heels of a convincing 55-34 win over Cincinnati Saturday.

This is Dorsett’s second Player of the Week honor this season. The wide receiver also surpassed 100 receiving yards twice this season. He caught three passes for 143 yards and a 79-yard receiving touchdown in the third quarter, the longest of his career, during Saturday’s game.

McCord made his first career interception return for a touchdown, two tackles and a sack at Saturday’s game.

“It was an amazing feeling. This was my first pick six,” he said after the Cincinnati game. “You don’t get those opportunities on defense.”

Rookie Kaaya had 200 passing  yards for the fifth game in a row. He completed the game with 286 passing yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. 

“Just taking care of the ball, whether it’s proper exchange or good decisions,” he said after Saturday’s game. “That was an emphasis this week.”

Dorsett, McCord and Kaaya were not able to comment at the time of publication because there was no media availability the week of fall break.

Courtney Fiorini

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...