Student input essential for presidential search

The lucky 13 who have been entrusted with the task of finding the next president of the University of Miami were announced Friday. The group consists of four faculty members and nine Board of Trustees members, one of whom is a student.

In the search for President Donna E. Shalala’s successor, it’s essential that a diverse and representative group of individuals be open to feedback when leading the effort.

The university has remained transparent throughout this process by sending out an email announcement about the Presidential Search Committee’s members to the entire university community.

But, is one student enough?

The one student selected to sit on the Presidential Search Committee is the student trustee who was appointed to the Board of Trustees in May. At other universities, presidential search committees have been more inclusive when it comes to students’ voices.

The presidential search committee at Florida State University, which recently announced its selection of Florida state Sen. John Thrasher, included three FSU students – two undergraduates and one law student. And at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a private university, the search committee received advice from a six-person student advisory committee.

At the University of Miami, the Presidential Search Committee is facing a short timeline for its selection, so it’s more important than ever that the committee make the most of gauging students’ thoughts.

In an article published by the American Council on Education, Jean Dowdall, who specializes in higher education senior executive searches, explained that fewer people involved in the search means fewer perspectives.

No matter how accomplished one student may be, it’s impossible for that one person to be representative of the entire UM student body: undergraduates, graduates, law, medical, athletes and beyond.

Although the search committee members have already been selected, the best solution now is for the individuals sitting on the committee to be as open and inclusive as possible when it comes to taking suggestions from students.

Rather than let themselves remain as unfamiliar names in a list, we suggest that the committee members make themselves recognizable to students on campus and serve as an approachable repository for feedback.

Further down the road, the search committee can hold a forum and invite students to share their opinions and ask questions.

Throughout her tenure, Shalala has focused on the quality of  students’ experiences at UM. We expect the search committee to follow in her footsteps as they consider her successor.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...