Football, Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs 10/12

Women’s Tennis

The Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis team played at the Bedford Cup hosted by the University of North Florida this past weekend.

Freshman Sinead Lohan was the star of the tournament, winning the Flight 1 singles bracket. For the victory, she beat UF’s Peggy Porter 6-2, 6-4 on Sunday. Lohan, a native of Ireland, started the bracket with a bang as she defeated the Seminoles’ senior leader Daneika Borthwick 6-3, 6-1 on Friday.

Lohan also made it to the doubles finals with fellow freshman Wendy Zhang. They faced the Gators’ Belinda Woolcock and Stefani Stojik in the final for Flight 1. The journey there had them beating FSU, UNF and FIU.

Football

While fans tailgated before Miami dominated Cincinnati for Family weekend, a banner flew above Sun Life Stadium.  A small plane dragged along a sign that read “Fire Al Golden, Save the U #WestEndZone.”

This is from the same group that started a GoFundMe campaign to raise money for a “Fire Al Golden” banner for the upcoming FSU game.

Students in the front row of the student section still showed up to the game dressed as Golden, headset and all, in support of the coach.

Courtney Fiorini

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...