Sports, Volleyball

Miami wins away games

The Hurricanes are finding their stride in ACC play.

After splitting the first two weekends in the ACC schedule, the Miami volleyball squad (11-6, 4-2) quickly handled Syracuse (7-11, 0-6) and Boston College (7-9, 2-3) in 3-1 and 3-0 victories away from the Knight Sports Complex.

Depth was the story Friday in Syracuse, where four Hurricanes registered double-doubles. Senior Award candidate Savanah Leaf led the team with 25 kills and 14 digs, while junior Taylor Scott and redshirt sophomore Kelsie Groot also notched double digits in these categories.

Two-time ACC Freshman of the Week Haley Templeton contributed team highs with 15 digs and a career-best 53 assists – a total she has accumulated four times this season.

Miami dropped the first set 22-25, but then rallied to earn the conclusive three with 26-24, 25-16 and 25-21 tallies. Besides beating the Orange last year, this is the first time the Canes have played these ACC newcomers since 2003.

On Sunday, the orange and green traveled near Bean Town to take on the Boston College Eagles.

Coach Jose “Keno” Gandara and company completed a sweep that required close, nail-biting victories in 25-21, 25-23, 25-20 fashion.

California-native Leaf led the way with 17 kills on a .382 winning percentage. Once again, the winning formula comprised of Leaf topping the scoring column and Templeton garnering the most assists – this time with 32.

Senior Emani Sims contributed 11 kills – including the game-winning one on an assist from Templeton – and Scott added nine.

As a whole, the team hit a .262 kill percentage, while the Eagles mustered a .101.

Now at 4-2 in the ACC, the Hurricanes will most likely maintain their No. 5 spot in the ACC standings.

Nevertheless, they will look to improve that standing and continue their conference success as they welcome Virginia Tech (third to last in the ACC standing) 7 p.m. Friday  in the Knight Sports Complex.

Danny New

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...