Sports, Volleyball

Miami wins away games

The Hurricanes are finding their stride in ACC play.

After splitting the first two weekends in the ACC schedule, the Miami volleyball squad (11-6, 4-2) quickly handled Syracuse (7-11, 0-6) and Boston College (7-9, 2-3) in 3-1 and 3-0 victories away from the Knight Sports Complex.

Depth was the story Friday in Syracuse, where four Hurricanes registered double-doubles. Senior Award candidate Savanah Leaf led the team with 25 kills and 14 digs, while junior Taylor Scott and redshirt sophomore Kelsie Groot also notched double digits in these categories.

Two-time ACC Freshman of the Week Haley Templeton contributed team highs with 15 digs and a career-best 53 assists – a total she has accumulated four times this season.

Miami dropped the first set 22-25, but then rallied to earn the conclusive three with 26-24, 25-16 and 25-21 tallies. Besides beating the Orange last year, this is the first time the Canes have played these ACC newcomers since 2003.

On Sunday, the orange and green traveled near Bean Town to take on the Boston College Eagles.

Coach Jose “Keno” Gandara and company completed a sweep that required close, nail-biting victories in 25-21, 25-23, 25-20 fashion.

California-native Leaf led the way with 17 kills on a .382 winning percentage. Once again, the winning formula comprised of Leaf topping the scoring column and Templeton garnering the most assists – this time with 32.

Senior Emani Sims contributed 11 kills – including the game-winning one on an assist from Templeton – and Scott added nine.

As a whole, the team hit a .262 kill percentage, while the Eagles mustered a .101.

Now at 4-2 in the ACC, the Hurricanes will most likely maintain their No. 5 spot in the ACC standings.

Nevertheless, they will look to improve that standing and continue their conference success as they welcome Virginia Tech (third to last in the ACC standing) 7 p.m. Friday  in the Knight Sports Complex.

Danny New

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...