Sports, Volleyball

Miami wins away games

The Hurricanes are finding their stride in ACC play.

After splitting the first two weekends in the ACC schedule, the Miami volleyball squad (11-6, 4-2) quickly handled Syracuse (7-11, 0-6) and Boston College (7-9, 2-3) in 3-1 and 3-0 victories away from the Knight Sports Complex.

Depth was the story Friday in Syracuse, where four Hurricanes registered double-doubles. Senior Award candidate Savanah Leaf led the team with 25 kills and 14 digs, while junior Taylor Scott and redshirt sophomore Kelsie Groot also notched double digits in these categories.

Two-time ACC Freshman of the Week Haley Templeton contributed team highs with 15 digs and a career-best 53 assists – a total she has accumulated four times this season.

Miami dropped the first set 22-25, but then rallied to earn the conclusive three with 26-24, 25-16 and 25-21 tallies. Besides beating the Orange last year, this is the first time the Canes have played these ACC newcomers since 2003.

On Sunday, the orange and green traveled near Bean Town to take on the Boston College Eagles.

Coach Jose “Keno” Gandara and company completed a sweep that required close, nail-biting victories in 25-21, 25-23, 25-20 fashion.

California-native Leaf led the way with 17 kills on a .382 winning percentage. Once again, the winning formula comprised of Leaf topping the scoring column and Templeton garnering the most assists – this time with 32.

Senior Emani Sims contributed 11 kills – including the game-winning one on an assist from Templeton – and Scott added nine.

As a whole, the team hit a .262 kill percentage, while the Eagles mustered a .101.

Now at 4-2 in the ACC, the Hurricanes will most likely maintain their No. 5 spot in the ACC standings.

Nevertheless, they will look to improve that standing and continue their conference success as they welcome Virginia Tech (third to last in the ACC standing) 7 p.m. Friday  in the Knight Sports Complex.

Danny New

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...