Edge, Featured, Music

III Points Festival unites music, art and technology

III Points Festival took place in Wynwood’s SOHO Studios for the second year from Oct. 10 to 12. Originating as an effort to bring together music, art and technology in the South Florida community, III Points attracted headliners such as Lykke Li, Flying Lotus, Duke Dumont and Jaime XX.

In between acts, festival-goers could explore the various attractions, such as SkateSpace, which featured a roller rink with skate rentals.

Free ‘Activation’ exhibits also took place throughout the weekend, giving the community the chance to learn more about recent musical and technological innovations.

The festival was the perfect playground of music and art. The main stages were at Soho Studios, a large warehouse event space, but the festival spread across 35 venues in the Wynwood community with free shows, exhibitions and happy hours.

Sunday fun began early with the opening reception for local artist Johnny Robles’ “Let it Slide” at Spinello Projects gallery space. The exhibit focused on elements of a playground and featured a seesaw that attendees could ride.

Only a few blocks away, Otto Von Schirach performed at Brisky Gallery. This event was also complimentary and included free drinks and barbecue as part of the festival.

Back at Soho Studios, the atmosphere of the festival was impressively interactive and visually appealing. Crowds entered the venue through an outdoor space filled with lit up tree houses, stacked TV set installations, an airplane cockpit, and a vandalized school bus that served as a space to sit between sets. Throughout the venue, interactive exhibits, makeup and bedazzling, and a roller skating rink provided more entertainment.

The night began with electronic hip-hop infused beats by Kaytranada at Mainframe stage. The crowd danced on to ever pleasant synth lines and dreamwave beats. Later, at the outdoors Mindmelt stage, the Jacuzzi Boys played their unique Miami brand of garage pop punk for their set.

Back inside, tech-pop supergroup Hot Natured played a set reminiscent of ‘90s alternative and rave. The crowd danced gleefully in lights under the disco ball. Overall, the festival was highly stimulating and entertaining.

Hallee Meltzer

Hallee Meltzer can be reached at hmeltzer@themiamihurricane.com.

Vivian Garcia

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...