Edge, Featured, Music

III Points Festival unites music, art and technology

III Points Festival took place in Wynwood’s SOHO Studios for the second year from Oct. 10 to 12. Originating as an effort to bring together music, art and technology in the South Florida community, III Points attracted headliners such as Lykke Li, Flying Lotus, Duke Dumont and Jaime XX.

In between acts, festival-goers could explore the various attractions, such as SkateSpace, which featured a roller rink with skate rentals.

Free ‘Activation’ exhibits also took place throughout the weekend, giving the community the chance to learn more about recent musical and technological innovations.

The festival was the perfect playground of music and art. The main stages were at Soho Studios, a large warehouse event space, but the festival spread across 35 venues in the Wynwood community with free shows, exhibitions and happy hours.

Sunday fun began early with the opening reception for local artist Johnny Robles’ “Let it Slide” at Spinello Projects gallery space. The exhibit focused on elements of a playground and featured a seesaw that attendees could ride.

Only a few blocks away, Otto Von Schirach performed at Brisky Gallery. This event was also complimentary and included free drinks and barbecue as part of the festival.

Back at Soho Studios, the atmosphere of the festival was impressively interactive and visually appealing. Crowds entered the venue through an outdoor space filled with lit up tree houses, stacked TV set installations, an airplane cockpit, and a vandalized school bus that served as a space to sit between sets. Throughout the venue, interactive exhibits, makeup and bedazzling, and a roller skating rink provided more entertainment.

The night began with electronic hip-hop infused beats by Kaytranada at Mainframe stage. The crowd danced on to ever pleasant synth lines and dreamwave beats. Later, at the outdoors Mindmelt stage, the Jacuzzi Boys played their unique Miami brand of garage pop punk for their set.

Back inside, tech-pop supergroup Hot Natured played a set reminiscent of ‘90s alternative and rave. The crowd danced gleefully in lights under the disco ball. Overall, the festival was highly stimulating and entertaining.

Hallee Meltzer

Hallee Meltzer can be reached at hmeltzer@themiamihurricane.com.

Vivian Garcia

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...