Culture, Featured, Music

III Points Festival unites music, art and technology

III Points Festival took place in Wynwood’s SOHO Studios for the second year from Oct. 10 to 12. Originating as an effort to bring together music, art and technology in the South Florida community, III Points attracted headliners such as Lykke Li, Flying Lotus, Duke Dumont and Jaime XX.

In between acts, festival-goers could explore the various attractions, such as SkateSpace, which featured a roller rink with skate rentals.

Free ‘Activation’ exhibits also took place throughout the weekend, giving the community the chance to learn more about recent musical and technological innovations.

The festival was the perfect playground of music and art. The main stages were at Soho Studios, a large warehouse event space, but the festival spread across 35 venues in the Wynwood community with free shows, exhibitions and happy hours.

Sunday fun began early with the opening reception for local artist Johnny Robles’ “Let it Slide” at Spinello Projects gallery space. The exhibit focused on elements of a playground and featured a seesaw that attendees could ride.

Only a few blocks away, Otto Von Schirach performed at Brisky Gallery. This event was also complimentary and included free drinks and barbecue as part of the festival.

Back at Soho Studios, the atmosphere of the festival was impressively interactive and visually appealing. Crowds entered the venue through an outdoor space filled with lit up tree houses, stacked TV set installations, an airplane cockpit, and a vandalized school bus that served as a space to sit between sets. Throughout the venue, interactive exhibits, makeup and bedazzling, and a roller skating rink provided more entertainment.

The night began with electronic hip-hop infused beats by Kaytranada at Mainframe stage. The crowd danced on to ever pleasant synth lines and dreamwave beats. Later, at the outdoors Mindmelt stage, the Jacuzzi Boys played their unique Miami brand of garage pop punk for their set.

Back inside, tech-pop supergroup Hot Natured played a set reminiscent of ‘90s alternative and rave. The crowd danced gleefully in lights under the disco ball. Overall, the festival was highly stimulating and entertaining.

Hallee Meltzer

Hallee Meltzer can be reached at hmeltzer@themiamihurricane.com.

Vivian Garcia

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...