Sports, Tennis

Freshman women’s tennis player shines in Bedford Cup

The Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis team played at the Bedford Cup hosted by the University of North Florida this past weekend.

Freshman Sinead Lohan was the star of the tournament, winning the Flight 1 singles bracket. For the victory, the native of Ireland beat Florida’s Peggy Porter 6-2, 6-4 on Sunday. To get there, Lohan beat another Gator, Belinda Woolcock 6-3, 4-6, 6-1 in the semifinal. Before that, she rebounded after a tough first set to defeat Florida State’s Yukako Noi 6-7, 7-6, 6-3 in the quarterfinal.

“Sinead has the courage of an elite player and the humbleness of a warrior,” assistant coach Laura Vallverdu said before the finals match. “She has worked hard physically to be in the finals tomorrow and she deserves the win.”

Lohan also won the doubles finals with fellow freshman Wendy Zhang. They faced the Gators’ Woolcock and Stefani Stojik and won 8-6 for the Flight 1 crown. The journey there had them beating Florida State, North Florida and Florida International.

This continues the Hurricanes’ doubles success after Stephanie Wagner and Lina Lileikite won the Miami Fall Invite doubles by beating their teammates Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno in September. Wagner and Lileikite also made it to the finals of the consolation bracket at the Riviera All-American Championships.

More freshmen made milestones at the Bedford Cup, as Silvia Fuentes and Judith Bohnencamp got their first career doubles win in a rematch against Hailey Grillo and Laura Argente Escamilla of USF. They won 8-7. The Hurricanes lost the next match 8-7 to Central Florida.

In singles, Fuentes started the bracket with a bang as she defeated the Seminoles’ senior leader Daneika Borthwick 6-3, 6-1 on Friday. Fuentes then lost to Stojik and her singles run was over.

The Hurricanes play next at Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regionals in Atlanta starting Oct. 16. Georgia Tech hosts the Southeast region, one of 84 sites.

Victoria Hernandez

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...