Sports, Tennis

Freshman women’s tennis player shines in Bedford Cup

The Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis team played at the Bedford Cup hosted by the University of North Florida this past weekend.

Freshman Sinead Lohan was the star of the tournament, winning the Flight 1 singles bracket. For the victory, the native of Ireland beat Florida’s Peggy Porter 6-2, 6-4 on Sunday. To get there, Lohan beat another Gator, Belinda Woolcock 6-3, 4-6, 6-1 in the semifinal. Before that, she rebounded after a tough first set to defeat Florida State’s Yukako Noi 6-7, 7-6, 6-3 in the quarterfinal.

“Sinead has the courage of an elite player and the humbleness of a warrior,” assistant coach Laura Vallverdu said before the finals match. “She has worked hard physically to be in the finals tomorrow and she deserves the win.”

Lohan also won the doubles finals with fellow freshman Wendy Zhang. They faced the Gators’ Woolcock and Stefani Stojik and won 8-6 for the Flight 1 crown. The journey there had them beating Florida State, North Florida and Florida International.

This continues the Hurricanes’ doubles success after Stephanie Wagner and Lina Lileikite won the Miami Fall Invite doubles by beating their teammates Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno in September. Wagner and Lileikite also made it to the finals of the consolation bracket at the Riviera All-American Championships.

More freshmen made milestones at the Bedford Cup, as Silvia Fuentes and Judith Bohnencamp got their first career doubles win in a rematch against Hailey Grillo and Laura Argente Escamilla of USF. They won 8-7. The Hurricanes lost the next match 8-7 to Central Florida.

In singles, Fuentes started the bracket with a bang as she defeated the Seminoles’ senior leader Daneika Borthwick 6-3, 6-1 on Friday. Fuentes then lost to Stojik and her singles run was over.

The Hurricanes play next at Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regionals in Atlanta starting Oct. 16. Georgia Tech hosts the Southeast region, one of 84 sites.

Victoria Hernandez

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...