Fourth down for wings

For the rest of the season, whenever the Hurricanes play at Sun Life Stadium, UM students will receive promotions off campus.

Students will be able to get free wings at the Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in the Shops at Sunset Place for every punt the Canes force on fourth downs during home football games.

Since there were six punts at Saturday’s Cincinnati game, students can get six free wings by showing their Cane Card and purchasing any drink Monday.

This promotion was first launched the day after the Duke University game held Sept. 27.

Lindy Sparby, director of marketing for UM Athletics, said the idea was created to “get students involved in the game and incentivize them to get loud for fourth downs.”

“Athletics Marketing came up with the idea, and we pitched it to Hurricane Sports Properties to see if we could find a sponsor for it,” she said.

The Duke game promotion was supposed to run until Monday, Sept. 29, but some students weren’t able to get their free wings.

“Five hundred students showed up on Sunday to redeem the wings,” Sparby said.

Although it was decided the offer would end Sunday due to the high turnout, some like freshman Rogelio Gonzalez had the opportunity Monday to redeem the offer.

Gonzalez believes the promotion was a good incentive for students to cheer on their Canes and thinks it would be a good idea to open it to the public.

“They should open it to all people and check that they bring their game day ticket,” he said.

Alina Zerpa

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...