Fourth down for wings

For the rest of the season, whenever the Hurricanes play at Sun Life Stadium, UM students will receive promotions off campus.

Students will be able to get free wings at the Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant in the Shops at Sunset Place for every punt the Canes force on fourth downs during home football games.

Since there were six punts at Saturday’s Cincinnati game, students can get six free wings by showing their Cane Card and purchasing any drink Monday.

This promotion was first launched the day after the Duke University game held Sept. 27.

Lindy Sparby, director of marketing for UM Athletics, said the idea was created to “get students involved in the game and incentivize them to get loud for fourth downs.”

“Athletics Marketing came up with the idea, and we pitched it to Hurricane Sports Properties to see if we could find a sponsor for it,” she said.

The Duke game promotion was supposed to run until Monday, Sept. 29, but some students weren’t able to get their free wings.

“Five hundred students showed up on Sunday to redeem the wings,” Sparby said.

Although it was decided the offer would end Sunday due to the high turnout, some like freshman Rogelio Gonzalez had the opportunity Monday to redeem the offer.

Gonzalez believes the promotion was a good incentive for students to cheer on their Canes and thinks it would be a good idea to open it to the public.

“They should open it to all people and check that they bring their game day ticket,” he said.

Alina Zerpa

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...