Campus Life, News

‘Dating Doctor’ named fall speaker

A real-life incarnation of Will Smith’s character in the movie “Hitch” will be visiting the University of Miami Tuesday night. David Coleman, who calls himself the “Dating Doctor,” will be this year’s Student Government (SG) fall speaker.

Each year, the fall speaker event revolves around a different theme. This year, the theme is health and wellness, and Coleman will give advice on relationships with topics like communication, collaboration and time management.

The event was planned by the U Outreach committee, responsible for campus-wide SG events, along with Hurricane Productions (HP), UM’s entertainment programming organization.

SG began having fall speakers a few years ago as a way to educate students outside of the classroom.

“We try to have some intellectual programs on campus because we know there’s a lot of social programs and there’s a lot of entertainment programs,”  said Brittany Stephenson, the HP and U Outreach coordinator chair.

Stephenson said health and wellness is often overlooked by college students, despite its important role.

“Our days go by so fast that we sometimes forget to take care of ourselves, whether it’s physically, mentally, spiritually or emotionally,”  she said.

Before Coleman speaks, organizations like the Counseling Center, Canes Care for Canes, Sexual Assault Resource Team, UAID and Active Minds will be tabling. Vikesh Patel, U Outreach Coordinator, said this is a new way to inform students of available resources and motivate them to become involved with these organizations.

According to Patel, 500 students attended last year’s fall speaker event with former UM football player Ray Lewis. Patel hopes more students will show for Coleman.

To raise interest about the fall speaker, U Outreach featured a guessing game. Each week a new hint was released online, and students were encouraged to guess the speaker based off the clues.

Stephenson explained that of the 60 participants, 30 were right and five winners were selected.

Each of the 30 will receive an SG towel and the five selected winners will receive a Rathskeller gift card, as well as the opportunity to attend a reception with Coleman after the event.

The event will be held in the SAC ballrooms. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. 

Nadijah Campbell

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...