Campus Life, News

‘Dating Doctor’ named fall speaker

A real-life incarnation of Will Smith’s character in the movie “Hitch” will be visiting the University of Miami Tuesday night. David Coleman, who calls himself the “Dating Doctor,” will be this year’s Student Government (SG) fall speaker.

Each year, the fall speaker event revolves around a different theme. This year, the theme is health and wellness, and Coleman will give advice on relationships with topics like communication, collaboration and time management.

The event was planned by the U Outreach committee, responsible for campus-wide SG events, along with Hurricane Productions (HP), UM’s entertainment programming organization.

SG began having fall speakers a few years ago as a way to educate students outside of the classroom.

“We try to have some intellectual programs on campus because we know there’s a lot of social programs and there’s a lot of entertainment programs,”  said Brittany Stephenson, the HP and U Outreach coordinator chair.

Stephenson said health and wellness is often overlooked by college students, despite its important role.

“Our days go by so fast that we sometimes forget to take care of ourselves, whether it’s physically, mentally, spiritually or emotionally,”  she said.

Before Coleman speaks, organizations like the Counseling Center, Canes Care for Canes, Sexual Assault Resource Team, UAID and Active Minds will be tabling. Vikesh Patel, U Outreach Coordinator, said this is a new way to inform students of available resources and motivate them to become involved with these organizations.

According to Patel, 500 students attended last year’s fall speaker event with former UM football player Ray Lewis. Patel hopes more students will show for Coleman.

To raise interest about the fall speaker, U Outreach featured a guessing game. Each week a new hint was released online, and students were encouraged to guess the speaker based off the clues.

Stephenson explained that of the 60 participants, 30 were right and five winners were selected.

Each of the 30 will receive an SG towel and the five selected winners will receive a Rathskeller gift card, as well as the opportunity to attend a reception with Coleman after the event.

The event will be held in the SAC ballrooms. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. 

Nadijah Campbell

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.