Campus Life, News

‘Dating Doctor’ named fall speaker

A real-life incarnation of Will Smith’s character in the movie “Hitch” will be visiting the University of Miami Tuesday night. David Coleman, who calls himself the “Dating Doctor,” will be this year’s Student Government (SG) fall speaker.

Each year, the fall speaker event revolves around a different theme. This year, the theme is health and wellness, and Coleman will give advice on relationships with topics like communication, collaboration and time management.

The event was planned by the U Outreach committee, responsible for campus-wide SG events, along with Hurricane Productions (HP), UM’s entertainment programming organization.

SG began having fall speakers a few years ago as a way to educate students outside of the classroom.

“We try to have some intellectual programs on campus because we know there’s a lot of social programs and there’s a lot of entertainment programs,”  said Brittany Stephenson, the HP and U Outreach coordinator chair.

Stephenson said health and wellness is often overlooked by college students, despite its important role.

“Our days go by so fast that we sometimes forget to take care of ourselves, whether it’s physically, mentally, spiritually or emotionally,”  she said.

Before Coleman speaks, organizations like the Counseling Center, Canes Care for Canes, Sexual Assault Resource Team, UAID and Active Minds will be tabling. Vikesh Patel, U Outreach Coordinator, said this is a new way to inform students of available resources and motivate them to become involved with these organizations.

According to Patel, 500 students attended last year’s fall speaker event with former UM football player Ray Lewis. Patel hopes more students will show for Coleman.

To raise interest about the fall speaker, U Outreach featured a guessing game. Each week a new hint was released online, and students were encouraged to guess the speaker based off the clues.

Stephenson explained that of the 60 participants, 30 were right and five winners were selected.

Each of the 30 will receive an SG towel and the five selected winners will receive a Rathskeller gift card, as well as the opportunity to attend a reception with Coleman after the event.

The event will be held in the SAC ballrooms. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. 

Nadijah Campbell

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...