Football, Sports

Offense plays best game yet

Senior wide receiver Phillip Dorset celebrates one of his two touchdowns during Saturday’s Family Day game against Cincinnati. The Canes won 55-34. Matthew Trabold // Contributing Photographer

On a clear, sunny day, coming off a performance at Georgia Tech that’s drawn more criticism than any other loss this season, the Miami Hurricanes honored their newest Hall of Fame class with their best offensive performance, drubbing the Cincinnati Bearcats 55-34 at Sun Life Stadium.

As his freshman year progresses, Brad Kaaya continues to show the leadership and poise that has been a silver lining in the dark cloud that’s hovered over the Canes this year.

Kaaya completed 17 of 24 pass attempts for 286 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions.

The bigger story though was one of the best performances by the ground unit in over a decade.

Duke Johnson and Joe Yearby each had 100-yard days – 162 for Johnson and 113 for Yearby. It’s the first game that’s happened in Miami history since Jarrett Payton and Tyrone Moss at Pittsburgh in 2003.

Johnson also had 16 receiving yards, so with his 178 all-purpose yards, he’s passed Santana Moss for the most all-purpose yards in Hurricanes history with 4,397.

Even Gus Edwards ran down the sidelines for a touchdown. Miami’s running game gained 335 rushing yards for only the second time in 11 years, the other during a 2007 loss to NC State.

Johnson credited the entire team for motivating him.

“I think my coaches and my teammates put me in the best position to get the record. I couldn’t do it by myself,” Johnson said. “From the moment I stepped on campus, each coach, each running back’s coach, each…teammate I had all played a part in this.”

Neil Dwyer

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...