Football, Sports

Offense plays best game yet

Senior wide receiver Phillip Dorset celebrates one of his two touchdowns during Saturday’s Family Day game against Cincinnati. The Canes won 55-34. Matthew Trabold // Contributing Photographer

On a clear, sunny day, coming off a performance at Georgia Tech that’s drawn more criticism than any other loss this season, the Miami Hurricanes honored their newest Hall of Fame class with their best offensive performance, drubbing the Cincinnati Bearcats 55-34 at Sun Life Stadium.

As his freshman year progresses, Brad Kaaya continues to show the leadership and poise that has been a silver lining in the dark cloud that’s hovered over the Canes this year.

Kaaya completed 17 of 24 pass attempts for 286 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions.

The bigger story though was one of the best performances by the ground unit in over a decade.

Duke Johnson and Joe Yearby each had 100-yard days – 162 for Johnson and 113 for Yearby. It’s the first game that’s happened in Miami history since Jarrett Payton and Tyrone Moss at Pittsburgh in 2003.

Johnson also had 16 receiving yards, so with his 178 all-purpose yards, he’s passed Santana Moss for the most all-purpose yards in Hurricanes history with 4,397.

Even Gus Edwards ran down the sidelines for a touchdown. Miami’s running game gained 335 rushing yards for only the second time in 11 years, the other during a 2007 loss to NC State.

Johnson credited the entire team for motivating him.

“I think my coaches and my teammates put me in the best position to get the record. I couldn’t do it by myself,” Johnson said. “From the moment I stepped on campus, each coach, each running back’s coach, each…teammate I had all played a part in this.”

Neil Dwyer

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...