Football, Sports

Offense plays best game yet

Senior wide receiver Phillip Dorset celebrates one of his two touchdowns during Saturday’s Family Day game against Cincinnati. The Canes won 55-34. Matthew Trabold // Contributing Photographer

On a clear, sunny day, coming off a performance at Georgia Tech that’s drawn more criticism than any other loss this season, the Miami Hurricanes honored their newest Hall of Fame class with their best offensive performance, drubbing the Cincinnati Bearcats 55-34 at Sun Life Stadium.

As his freshman year progresses, Brad Kaaya continues to show the leadership and poise that has been a silver lining in the dark cloud that’s hovered over the Canes this year.

Kaaya completed 17 of 24 pass attempts for 286 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions.

The bigger story though was one of the best performances by the ground unit in over a decade.

Duke Johnson and Joe Yearby each had 100-yard days – 162 for Johnson and 113 for Yearby. It’s the first game that’s happened in Miami history since Jarrett Payton and Tyrone Moss at Pittsburgh in 2003.

Johnson also had 16 receiving yards, so with his 178 all-purpose yards, he’s passed Santana Moss for the most all-purpose yards in Hurricanes history with 4,397.

Even Gus Edwards ran down the sidelines for a touchdown. Miami’s running game gained 335 rushing yards for only the second time in 11 years, the other during a 2007 loss to NC State.

Johnson credited the entire team for motivating him.

“I think my coaches and my teammates put me in the best position to get the record. I couldn’t do it by myself,” Johnson said. “From the moment I stepped on campus, each coach, each running back’s coach, each…teammate I had all played a part in this.”

Neil Dwyer

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...