Football, Profiles, Sports

Make-a-Wish brings biggest fan to Miami

While the Hurricanes coaching staff is under criticism from students, fans and alumni, the program as a whole had a shining moment this week when it introduced a brand new recruit from South Carolina, 8-year-old Carter Hucks.

Through the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Carter and his parents arrived in Miami on Wednesday, and Carter spent a few days with the Hurricanes, including his favorite player, Duke Johnson.

Carter was diagnosed with Fanconi anemia, which can lead to cancer and bone marrow failure, but no one would have guessed Carter was sick when he spoke to the media before the game.

Suited up in his No. 8 uniform and pads, Carter took the podium, ready to go as if he were answering questions about a late fourth-quarter interception.

Carter spent time practicing with the team, including tackling Tracy Howard and running for two touchdowns.

When asked if he was tackled at all, Carter , “Nope.”

He was at midfield before the football game Saturday and then led the Canes through the smoke along with Sebastian the Ibis, enjoying the moment as the team trailed behind.

After the teams traded punts in their first possessions, the first play of Miami’s second drive was an 80-yard touchdown by Duke Johnson, rolling to his left and finding the hole.

It was the longest touchdown run of his career and moved him up to fourth place on the all-time Hurricanes rushing list.

One couldn’t help but think that was for his mini-me, Carter.

After Carter finished his press conference, his parents, Jessie and Derrick, took a few moments to thank the Hurricanes for all the support and accommodation during the week.

“The university did a great job of letting him actually experience the whole, what’s it like to be a Hurricane,” his mother, Jessie, said. “We’re so appreciative of everything they’ve done for us.”

His father, Derrick, connected the Hurricanes “renewed” philosophy to Carter’s present condition.

“The team slogan this year has been ‘renewed.’ The process that Carter is about to go through, having a bone marrow transplant, he’s going to be renewed,” Derrick said. “I just hope that they will find what it will take for them to be renewed.”

Featured image courtesy of Miami Hurricanes football via Facebook.

Neil Dwyer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...