Campus Life, News

Tour highlights campus architecture

Carie Penabad, a professor in the School of Architecture, will lead a tour of the campus’ oldest buildings Friday afternoon.

The walking tour will start at Stanford Residential College and loop around to the oldest buildings on campus, including Merrick and the original wooden administration building located near the Knight Physics Building and the arboretum.

Each stop on the tour will feature a brief history of the building, its creator and its previous purposes.

“It’s an interesting way to learn a little bit about where you’re going to school,” Penabad said. “Most people arrive and they don’t really know much about the campus.”

Penabad is familiar with the history of UM’s buildings. In 2010, she published a book titled “Marion Manley: Miami’s First Woman Architect,” which offers the entire history of UM from an architect’s perspective.

The book focuses on Marion Manley who, in addition to being the first female architect in Miami, played a major role in the university’s rebuilding after a hurricane destroyed the school in 1926.

This hurricane, known as the Great Miami Hurricane, hit just one year after the school first opened. Afterward, students were forced to study at a makeshift campus in downtown Coral Gables.

This hurricane is where UM’s “Hurricane” name and ibis mascot originated.

Penabad said the book, similar to the walking tour, was a surprise to her.

“I stumbled upon it to be perfectly frank,” Penabad said. “Our former dean, Dean Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, asked if I would document those historic buildings on the other side of campus as part of the historic American Building Survey.”

According to Penabad, once she started the research, what was originally supposed to be something small turned into something much larger.

“I discovered this woman who I knew virtually nothing about had built over 100 buildings in Miami and she and Robert Law Reed were responsible for designing the master plan,” Penabad said.

Penabad said that she hopes the tour will help to educate students on other parts of campus they may have never seen, as well as help bridge the gap between students who may not live near each other but still share lots of commonalities.

Junior Erron Estrado, Penabad’s former student, agrees that the history of UM’s buildings would be interesting to students if taught the right way. He said that Penabad’s hands-on approach would be helpful.

“If you physically go see the buildings and you have someone who is knowledgeable about them, then it’s a much better experience as opposed to reading about it in a book,” Estrado said.

Penabad will also offer a class for architecture students who want to have a role in the future of UM’s buildings.

This upper-level class will allow students to make proposals for the preservation of certain buildings as well as possible additions.

INFO BOX

Carie Penabad will be leading a tour that explores the oldest buildings on campus. All students are free to join the tour. Students will meet in the lobby of Stanford at 5 p.m. on Friday. The tour officially begins at 5:15 p.m. and is expected to be completed at 6:30 p.m. There will be a reception afterwards, with the opportunity for students to speak with Penabad and other faculty members.

Nadijah Campbell

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...