Community, News

Pizzeria’s future uncertain

Miami’s Best Pizza co-owner Raymond Papich confirmed that the restaurant may remain open until December.

The local pizzeria originally announced that it will close in November when its landlord, Sager Management Corp., requested a higher rent.

Former University of Miami football player Big Al Papich founded the local pizzeria in 1970. Today, it is co-owned by Papich’s son, Raymond Papich, and Charles Butler.

“Probably until the end of 2014. There will be a period where we will have to go dark, because even if we find another place, we will have to wait until it gets ready,” co-owner Papich said.

Miami’s Best was originally the first Little Caesar’s in the southeastern United States. After a 20-year franchise contract, the owner broke away from the large chain to create an independent business.

Papich said that local businesses are at the mercy of their landlords unless they own the property. The owners are scouting for properties on U.S. 1, as they want to be close to current customers.

Sager Management Corp. was unavailable for comment.

“Even if we were to end on this note, we would say it was a success. It’s definitely bittersweet, but change is inevitable,” Papich said.

Miami’s Best is located at 1514 S. Dixie Hwy, Coral Gables, Fla.

Sophie Barros

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...