Community, News

Pizzeria’s future uncertain

Miami’s Best Pizza co-owner Raymond Papich confirmed that the restaurant may remain open until December.

The local pizzeria originally announced that it will close in November when its landlord, Sager Management Corp., requested a higher rent.

Former University of Miami football player Big Al Papich founded the local pizzeria in 1970. Today, it is co-owned by Papich’s son, Raymond Papich, and Charles Butler.

“Probably until the end of 2014. There will be a period where we will have to go dark, because even if we find another place, we will have to wait until it gets ready,” co-owner Papich said.

Miami’s Best was originally the first Little Caesar’s in the southeastern United States. After a 20-year franchise contract, the owner broke away from the large chain to create an independent business.

Papich said that local businesses are at the mercy of their landlords unless they own the property. The owners are scouting for properties on U.S. 1, as they want to be close to current customers.

Sager Management Corp. was unavailable for comment.

“Even if we were to end on this note, we would say it was a success. It’s definitely bittersweet, but change is inevitable,” Papich said.

Miami’s Best is located at 1514 S. Dixie Hwy, Coral Gables, Fla.

Sophie Barros

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...