Community, News

Pizzeria’s future uncertain

Miami’s Best Pizza co-owner Raymond Papich confirmed that the restaurant may remain open until December.

The local pizzeria originally announced that it will close in November when its landlord, Sager Management Corp., requested a higher rent.

Former University of Miami football player Big Al Papich founded the local pizzeria in 1970. Today, it is co-owned by Papich’s son, Raymond Papich, and Charles Butler.

“Probably until the end of 2014. There will be a period where we will have to go dark, because even if we find another place, we will have to wait until it gets ready,” co-owner Papich said.

Miami’s Best was originally the first Little Caesar’s in the southeastern United States. After a 20-year franchise contract, the owner broke away from the large chain to create an independent business.

Papich said that local businesses are at the mercy of their landlords unless they own the property. The owners are scouting for properties on U.S. 1, as they want to be close to current customers.

Sager Management Corp. was unavailable for comment.

“Even if we were to end on this note, we would say it was a success. It’s definitely bittersweet, but change is inevitable,” Papich said.

Miami’s Best is located at 1514 S. Dixie Hwy, Coral Gables, Fla.

Sophie Barros

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...