Community, News

Pizzeria’s future uncertain

Miami’s Best Pizza co-owner Raymond Papich confirmed that the restaurant may remain open until December.

The local pizzeria originally announced that it will close in November when its landlord, Sager Management Corp., requested a higher rent.

Former University of Miami football player Big Al Papich founded the local pizzeria in 1970. Today, it is co-owned by Papich’s son, Raymond Papich, and Charles Butler.

“Probably until the end of 2014. There will be a period where we will have to go dark, because even if we find another place, we will have to wait until it gets ready,” co-owner Papich said.

Miami’s Best was originally the first Little Caesar’s in the southeastern United States. After a 20-year franchise contract, the owner broke away from the large chain to create an independent business.

Papich said that local businesses are at the mercy of their landlords unless they own the property. The owners are scouting for properties on U.S. 1, as they want to be close to current customers.

Sager Management Corp. was unavailable for comment.

“Even if we were to end on this note, we would say it was a success. It’s definitely bittersweet, but change is inevitable,” Papich said.

Miami’s Best is located at 1514 S. Dixie Hwy, Coral Gables, Fla.

Sophie Barros

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...