Campus Life, News

Alumnus to lead Homecoming Parade

Football hall-of-famer Jim Kelly in December 2010. // Public domain photo by Staff Sgt. Corenthia Fennell

The UM Alumni Association has appointed former Hurricanes football star Jim Kelly as Grand Marshal for the Alumni Weekend and Homecoming Parade, at 7 p.m. on Oct. 31 in Walsh Ave and Merrick and Stanford Drive. The Grand Marshal is responsible for leading the Homecoming Parade, together with President Shalala, Sebastian the Ibis, the Band of the Hour and the Hurricane Cheerleaders.

“The University of Miami has a rich tradition of accomplished and distinguished alumni and we are excited to have Mr. Kelly and his family back on campus,” said Cynthia Cochran, director of Alumni Programs.

Kelly was the Hurricanes’ quarterback from 1979 to 1983 and made the UM Sports Hall of Fame in 1992 after paving the way to make Miami the highest- ranked NCAA Division I-A team in 1983. He was the first to adopt the nickname “Quarterback U” and, during his professional career, he earned a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2002 for leading the Buffalo Bills to four consecutive Super Bowls, among other accomplishments.

“I’ve been a Canes fan my entire life, so I heard about Jim Kelly when I was a kid,” said Roly Calderin, this year’s homecoming chair. “And the strength and perseverance he’s had to show the past year is very admirable. He’s a great pick.”

Kelly has recently won his one-year battle against cancer, after being diagnosed with the disease in June of last year. He also established a non-profit foundation called Hunter’s Hope after his son, Hunter James Kelly, passed away at the age of eight due to Krabbe disease. His foundation then developed into the Hunter James Kelly Research Institute at the University of Buffalo.

“It’s a powerful statement for the university to bring back someone who’s been so beneficial both while he was here and afterwards,” said O’Shane Elliot, member of the Homecoming King and Queen Committee.

Kelly was also chosen as the Honorary Captain for the Homecoming football game against North Carolina. He will receive recognition for his achievements on the field before kickoff on Nov. 1.

Sophie Barros

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...