Campus Life, News

Alumnus to lead Homecoming Parade

Football hall-of-famer Jim Kelly in December 2010. // Public domain photo by Staff Sgt. Corenthia Fennell

The UM Alumni Association has appointed former Hurricanes football star Jim Kelly as Grand Marshal for the Alumni Weekend and Homecoming Parade, at 7 p.m. on Oct. 31 in Walsh Ave and Merrick and Stanford Drive. The Grand Marshal is responsible for leading the Homecoming Parade, together with President Shalala, Sebastian the Ibis, the Band of the Hour and the Hurricane Cheerleaders.

“The University of Miami has a rich tradition of accomplished and distinguished alumni and we are excited to have Mr. Kelly and his family back on campus,” said Cynthia Cochran, director of Alumni Programs.

Kelly was the Hurricanes’ quarterback from 1979 to 1983 and made the UM Sports Hall of Fame in 1992 after paving the way to make Miami the highest- ranked NCAA Division I-A team in 1983. He was the first to adopt the nickname “Quarterback U” and, during his professional career, he earned a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2002 for leading the Buffalo Bills to four consecutive Super Bowls, among other accomplishments.

“I’ve been a Canes fan my entire life, so I heard about Jim Kelly when I was a kid,” said Roly Calderin, this year’s homecoming chair. “And the strength and perseverance he’s had to show the past year is very admirable. He’s a great pick.”

Kelly has recently won his one-year battle against cancer, after being diagnosed with the disease in June of last year. He also established a non-profit foundation called Hunter’s Hope after his son, Hunter James Kelly, passed away at the age of eight due to Krabbe disease. His foundation then developed into the Hunter James Kelly Research Institute at the University of Buffalo.

“It’s a powerful statement for the university to bring back someone who’s been so beneficial both while he was here and afterwards,” said O’Shane Elliot, member of the Homecoming King and Queen Committee.

Kelly was also chosen as the Honorary Captain for the Homecoming football game against North Carolina. He will receive recognition for his achievements on the field before kickoff on Nov. 1.

Sophie Barros

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...