Community, Edge

Annual benefit concert draws awareness to spinal cord injuries

A diverse crowd gathered at Peacock Park in Coconut Grove on Sept. 27  to celebrate the annual Woodystock benefit concert. Artists offered canvases and brushes for visitors to paint with, vendors sold refreshments to combat the afternoon sun, and musicians played tunes ranging from classical violin to reggae to indie soul.

Woodystock, which boasts both local and international musicians, raises money for people with spinal cord injuries by raffling items ranging from handmade jewelry to Caribbean resort tickets. It also receives donations from sponsors such as City National Bank and the real estate company, CFH Group.

University of Miami alumna Milena Mihovilovic, was there volunteering as part of the event at the Rise Up Gallery Tent.

“It combines my interests for both neuroscience and art, so it was a perfect fit,” said Milena, who graduated in May 2014.

The charity concert was born of a tragedy. On Jan. 29, 2011, Florida Atlantic University rugby player James “Woody” Beckham received a tackle that dislocated his spinal cord and paralyzed him from the chest downwards. He spent 10 days in an Intensive Care Unit in Jackson Memorial Hospital and 60 days in the Jackson Rehabilitation Hospital.

When Beckham returned home, he and his family decided to launch The Woody Foundation, a non-profit organization that hosts events such as Woodystock to aid people with spinal cord injuries. The foundation uses the money it raises to pay for wheelchair yoga classes at Dharma Yoga every Monday and for “Woodypacks,” their signature bags that contain assisted devices for people in wheelchairs.

“It’s incredible to make an impact in the disabled community,” said Beckham, a native of Coconut Grove who plans to graduate from Florida International University in 2015.

The Woody Foundation also collaborates with Rise Up Gallery (RUG), a non-profit organization that funds art therapy workshops in hospitals. David McCauley, the founder of RUG, learned about art therapy classes while in a rehabilitation hospital, after he broke his neck in a driving accident.

“The art therapy really helped in my recovery, both physically and mentally,” McCauley said.

However, he soon discovered that many rehabilitation hospitals did not offer art therapy classes, so he quit his job in Wall Street to launch RUG in 2010. To raise funds, he and other disabled artists showcase and sell their works.

Originally from New Jersey, McCauley moved to Miami because of the art scene in Wynwood. He appreciates the spinal cord injury research done by local hospitals and accepts volunteers from local universities.

Mihovilovic, has been volunteering at RUG for the past two years and hoped the event would raise awreness of the “healing powers of art,” and would encourage people to donate toward art therapy classes in Miami Jackson Hospital.

For more information on The Woody Foundation, visit woodyfoundation.org.

For more information on Rise Up Gallery, visit riseupgallery.com.

Zishi Wu

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...