Commentary, Football, Sports

Inconsistencies dampen Hurricanes’ performance

Perhaps the new motto of Hurricanes football should be, ”home sweet home,” as once again Miami left the confines of Sun Life Stadium and lost a game. Miami went up to Atlanta to play ACC-Coastal rival Georgia Institute of Technology (5-0, 2-0 ACC) and lost 28-17, just about knocking the Canes (3-3, 1-2 ACC) out of contention in the division.

All around it was a disappointing game for the Hurricanes, who started out firing, scoring on their first possession and taking a 14-7 lead into the second quarter before getting outscored 21-3 the rest of the game.

Miami’s defense was unable to make any stops against Tech’s triple option offense as the Yellow Jackets ran for over 300 yards and held the ball for over 40 minutes. The Canes were unable to force any turnovers as Georgia Tech pounded the ball down their throats all game. When the Hurricanes needed stops the most, they were once again unable to get them.

The Yellow Jackets finished the game nine of 14 on third down conversions and two of two on fourth down conversions, including a fake punt executed to perfection.

In comparison, Miami’s third down problems continued as they went one of five. The Canes struggled on third down in their previous two away games as well, going one of 13 against Louisville and four of 10 against Nebraska. Overall, the offense did not have a bad game, but had only eight possessions. To put that in perspective, Georgia Tech finished the game with 69 plays on offense, while the Hurricanes ran only 35.

Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya looked like a seasoned veteran in the first quarter before throwing two key interceptions later on that ended great scoring opportunities, including one in the end zone with 71 seconds left that just about sealed the game. Kaaya finished 16 of 25 for 245 yards with one touchdown and those two aforementioned interceptions.

The running game looked like Miami of old, albeit in limited action, on Saturday night, with Duke Johnson gaining 100 yards and a touchdown on 14 carries. The team finished with 19 carries for 107 yards, about 5.6 yards per rush.

The result of this game shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. For years Miami has been an inconsistent team, so after last week’s strong defensive showing against Duke, another defensive letdown should have been expected. That being said, the triple option is incredibly hard to prepare for, and Georgia Tech was coming off a bye, meaning they had extra time to prepare.

Regardless, as the Canes continued to struggle while away from Sun Life Stadium, the spotlight must grow brighter and brighter on defensive coordinator Mark D’onofrio and head coach Al Golden.

With Miami finally clear of the NCAA cloud, 3-3 will not cut it for a team that used to regularly win 10-plus games and national championships. With tough road games left at Virginia Tech and Virginia, Miami needs to start winning on the road, or both coaches’ seats are only going to get hotter and hotter.

Miami next hosts Cincinnati at noon Saturday at Sun Life Stadium before traveling to Blacksburg, Virginia to take on the Hokies in a game that will determine if the Canes have any life left in the ACC this season.

Alexander Green is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism and marketing. 

Alexander Green

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...