Featured, Greek Life, News

Sorority hosts sumo slam for fundraising

NEWS_KappaSumo_NG

Junior Kelly Mote and Senior Melissa Villanueva, sisters in the sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma, face off during Kappa’s sumo wrestling event. The fundraiser, part of Kick it with Kappa!, raised money for the sorority’s philanthropy Reading is Fundamental. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Students dressed in giant sumo suits engaged each other in combat Thursday on the  university green as part of Kappa Kappa Gamma’s fall philanthropy event, “Kick It With Kappa!”

Every year, each of the University of Miami’s Greek organizations spend two days fundraising on campus in either the fall or spring semester and one day doing so in the opposite semester. This year, Kappa decided to plan a new program for “Kick It,” trading in its traditional volleyball tournament for coin wars, sumo wrestling and the Kappa World Cup.

Eight fraternities participated in “Kick It”: Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Chi, Kappa Sigma, Alpha Epsilon Pi, Alpha Sigma Phi, Beta Theta Pi, Pi Kappa Phi and Lambda Chi Alpha.

During coin wars, each fraternity competed to collect the most cash in its coin jars. Eight large gallon containers were set up on tables in the breezeway, each labeled with a fraternity’s name. Passersby and fraternity brothers “voted” with coins and dollars.

Sumo wrestling offered an opportunity for fraternity members and non-Greek students to throw on a sumo suit and duke it out in a round for a participation fee.

“It was actually really funny,” said Raquel Mitchel, president of Miami’s Delta Kappa chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma. “I think all the frats that participated had a lot of fun with it.”

All proceeds from the event went toward the sorority’s national partner, Reading is Fundamental, a nonprofit that fights children’s illiteracy. Kappa Kappa Gamma has already raised $4,800 for Reading is Fundamental.

“61 percent of lower-income families don’t have books at home, which was really shocking to me because I was always surrounded by books,” said Katie Cwikla, the philanthropy chair for Kappa Kappa Gamma.

In addition to raising money for Reading is Fundamental, the sorority also volunteers with the organization in local communities through a program called Reading Buddies.

“We go as sorority sisters once a week to read to kids at community centers, so it’s something we’re really proud of and something that we’re really trying to raise awareness for,” Cwikla said.

The chapter hopes to raise at least $5,000 this year for Reading is Fundamental. However, Cwikla emphasized that the main goal is to spread the word about the organization and about illiteracy in general.

“I don’t think it’s a problem most people are aware of, so just really getting more people on campus involved is important,” she said.

In an effort to raise funds from a variety of sources, the sorority has also opened a page at GoFundMe.com, a fundraising website allowing supporters to donate money for causes. Event entry fees, T-shirts and on-campus events also contributed to the fundraising.

“Kick It” concluded with the Kappa World Cup on Friday, a soccer tournament among the participating fraternities.

Each team in the tournament represented a different country and teams were judged on athletic performance and on country flag designs. Mojito Grill provided a donation of food to sell at the tournament, which also contributed to fundraising proceeds.

At the end of the events, Lambda Chi Alpha took the lead with the highest philanthropic contribution, closely followed by Sigma Chi and Beta Theta Pi.

Sophomore Joel Glickman, who serves as the external vice president for Lamba Chi Alpha, stressed the important role philanthropy plays in Greek life.

“We really urged the entire chapter to get on board,” Glickman said. “It’s one of those things that brings Greek life together.”

Members of Kappa Kappa Gamma are looking forward to their spring event, which will be organized under the newly elected philanthropy chair, to be announced in November.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...