Policy change won’t limit counseling

In a response to The Miami Hurricane’s editorial about the UM Counseling Center’s lack of campus presence, Ernesto Escoto, the center’s director, discussed a continuing campaign to improve awareness of mental health issues, as well as access to services that aim to address these.

That was in January. Now, the Counseling Center is limiting students to 15 visits per academic year, a move that seems, at first glance, to set back the Counseling Center’s goals.

Many students may begin to worry about the number of times they’ve visited, which may create the false impression that their mental health is somehow less important than their physical health.

After all, no budgetary or staff restraints would ever force such limits on visits to the Health Center.

But if they did, it is not inconceivable that a students may dismiss a painful headache to save their restricted visits, and then turn out, when it is too late, to have had meningitis.

A 15-visit limit on counseling risks creating a similarly brutal calculus, where students in emotional distress, hesitating to “waste” one of their visits, may decide not to seek the help they actually need.

However, it is imperative that students keep in mind that the Counseling Center will never turn away a person in need.

The 15-visit limit, prompted by understaffing, provides a general mechanism for the center to help as many people as possible by ensuring the center’s limited resources are not cornered by the same students over and over again.

If students require help beyond the center’s ability to provide, they will be referred to a specialist.

In addition, the new triage model ensures that all students in acute emotional distress, regardless of whether they’ve maxed out their visits or not, will be seen according to the urgency of their needs.

These policy changes, however strange they may sound at first, show no deviation from the Counseling Center’s mission to help students. A student should never hesitate to take advantage of the resources it provides.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...