Policy change won’t limit counseling

In a response to The Miami Hurricane’s editorial about the UM Counseling Center’s lack of campus presence, Ernesto Escoto, the center’s director, discussed a continuing campaign to improve awareness of mental health issues, as well as access to services that aim to address these.

That was in January. Now, the Counseling Center is limiting students to 15 visits per academic year, a move that seems, at first glance, to set back the Counseling Center’s goals.

Many students may begin to worry about the number of times they’ve visited, which may create the false impression that their mental health is somehow less important than their physical health.

After all, no budgetary or staff restraints would ever force such limits on visits to the Health Center.

But if they did, it is not inconceivable that a students may dismiss a painful headache to save their restricted visits, and then turn out, when it is too late, to have had meningitis.

A 15-visit limit on counseling risks creating a similarly brutal calculus, where students in emotional distress, hesitating to “waste” one of their visits, may decide not to seek the help they actually need.

However, it is imperative that students keep in mind that the Counseling Center will never turn away a person in need.

The 15-visit limit, prompted by understaffing, provides a general mechanism for the center to help as many people as possible by ensuring the center’s limited resources are not cornered by the same students over and over again.

If students require help beyond the center’s ability to provide, they will be referred to a specialist.

In addition, the new triage model ensures that all students in acute emotional distress, regardless of whether they’ve maxed out their visits or not, will be seen according to the urgency of their needs.

These policy changes, however strange they may sound at first, show no deviation from the Counseling Center’s mission to help students. A student should never hesitate to take advantage of the resources it provides.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...