News Briefs 10/6

Think Pink Week Survivor Celebration

Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center and Zeta Tau Alpha will kick off Think Pink Week with a Survivor Celebration at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday at the Student Activities Center (SAC) patio. A group photo will be taken of a human ribbon and guest speakers, including cancer survivors Lainey Kieffer and author Paula Holland De Long. Kieffer will share her story of being diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 28. De Long is a life coach and award-winning author who will speak on advocacy and living in the moment. Food and beverages will be served at the event, and shirts will be available for purchase.

‘Jumanji’ Screening

A Robin Williams tribute will be hosted by Hurricane Productions and the Cinematic Arts Commission with a screening of “Jumanji” at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Cosford Cinema. The film follows two kids who save a man who was trapped inside a board game for 26 years. Together, they try to make it to the end of the Jumanji game. The film stars Robin Williams, Kirsten Dunst and Bradley Pierce. The event will also feature a presentation by the Counseling Center to raise awareness about mental health. It is free for students with a Cane Card.

Songwriter’s Showcase

Cat 5 Music Publishing is now accepting submissions for the seventh annual Songwriter’s Showcase, a featured concert of Festival Miami. The showcase will be held on Oct. 23 in Gusman Hall. Ten finalists will be selected to perform in front of a panel of celebrity judges.

In the past, judges have included Grammy-winning artists Bruce Hornsby and Jon Secada. To submit an original song, visit cat5music.com. The deadline for submissions is Wednesday at 11:59 p.m.

Relaxation for Coping with Stress Seminar

The Well Canes Wellness Incentives Program is holding a lunchtime seminar on managing day-to-day anxiety and stress with calming relaxation techniques from noon to 1 p.m. on Tuesday in the University Center (UC) room 211.

Students will learn how to identify stress, recognize stress reactions and use stress reduction methods to manage stress. The seminar will be led by a University of Miami Faculty and Staff Assistance Program consultant. To register, visit ulearn.miami.edu.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...