News Briefs 10/6

Think Pink Week Survivor Celebration

Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center and Zeta Tau Alpha will kick off Think Pink Week with a Survivor Celebration at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday at the Student Activities Center (SAC) patio. A group photo will be taken of a human ribbon and guest speakers, including cancer survivors Lainey Kieffer and author Paula Holland De Long. Kieffer will share her story of being diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 28. De Long is a life coach and award-winning author who will speak on advocacy and living in the moment. Food and beverages will be served at the event, and shirts will be available for purchase.

‘Jumanji’ Screening

A Robin Williams tribute will be hosted by Hurricane Productions and the Cinematic Arts Commission with a screening of “Jumanji” at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Cosford Cinema. The film follows two kids who save a man who was trapped inside a board game for 26 years. Together, they try to make it to the end of the Jumanji game. The film stars Robin Williams, Kirsten Dunst and Bradley Pierce. The event will also feature a presentation by the Counseling Center to raise awareness about mental health. It is free for students with a Cane Card.

Songwriter’s Showcase

Cat 5 Music Publishing is now accepting submissions for the seventh annual Songwriter’s Showcase, a featured concert of Festival Miami. The showcase will be held on Oct. 23 in Gusman Hall. Ten finalists will be selected to perform in front of a panel of celebrity judges.

In the past, judges have included Grammy-winning artists Bruce Hornsby and Jon Secada. To submit an original song, visit cat5music.com. The deadline for submissions is Wednesday at 11:59 p.m.

Relaxation for Coping with Stress Seminar

The Well Canes Wellness Incentives Program is holding a lunchtime seminar on managing day-to-day anxiety and stress with calming relaxation techniques from noon to 1 p.m. on Tuesday in the University Center (UC) room 211.

Students will learn how to identify stress, recognize stress reactions and use stress reduction methods to manage stress. The seminar will be led by a University of Miami Faculty and Staff Assistance Program consultant. To register, visit ulearn.miami.edu.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...