Sports, Volleyball

Canes lose close game despite strong plays

Freshman Haley Templeton (No. 5) sets the ball for a subsequent spike during Sunday’s women’s volleyball game against Florida State. The Canes xxxx. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Freshman Haley Templeton (No. 5) sets the ball for a subsequent spike during Sunday’s women’s volleyball game against Florida State. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

It came down to the last set.

American Volleyball Coaches Association’s No. 5 ranked Florida State University (15-0) needed all five sets to take down the Hurricanes (9-6) at the Knight Sports Complex, despite the momentum from a 3-1 home victory Friday against Clemson.

“It’s not about the opponent,” said Miami head coach Jose “Keno” Gandara. “It’s about us and how we prepare. We had a good day yesterday and did a good job preparing. Florida State just made a few more plays.”

One thing Florida State could not prepare for was the firepower of Senior Class Award candidate Savanah Leaf, who tied a team record with 30 kills, but remained humble.

“I just feel like I need to reduce my errors – I wasn’t really too worried about how many kills I had,” said Leaf after the game. “I’m happy with my intensity, but there’s some things I have to work on.”

The Hurricanes cruised to another home win Friday, notching their seventh home triumph of the season. California natives Savanah Leaf and Kelsie Groot led the way – combining for 32 kills.

Coming off earning ACC Freshman of the Week, setter Haley Templeton served up 44 assists, pushing her past the 400-mark on the season.

Friday, the in-state top-ranked ACC rival Florida State marched into the Knight Sports Complex to find a deafening crowd of parents, students and the Band of the Hour, all breaking the sound barrier with their roars.

The Seminoles jumped ahead to an early 4-1 lead, which grew to 18-12 – but the Hurricanes never let go.

After exchanging point after point, Miami shocked FSU and took the first set 28-26. Both teams struggled offensively in the first set, neither topping the .104 attack percentage mark.

In the second set, the Seminoles regained their composure and won 25-19, despite close exchanges early on. Savanah Leaf had 16 kills through the first two, and Templeton added 20 assists.

The third set was similar to the first, but the Hurricanes came up short in the end. Neither team hit over .250, and both suffered six errors – including four from Leaf.

However, the game’s leading attacker and the rest of her teammates bounced back in the fourth set, clawing at an FSU lead that reached as many as seven. The crowd backed the Canes with harmonious cheer as they snatched a 29-27 victory.

And then it all came down to one set – a conclusive race to 15.

Coach Gandara relied heavily on five different freshmen to pull off the upset: Haley Templeton, Sakile Simmons, Brooke McDermott, Michele Marenus and Sylvia Hernandez.

“It’s all about confidence,” he said. “They’re all good volleyball players, and they all did a good job.”

However, some early errors by these freshmen forfeited the momentum from the fourth set success, and the Seminoles climbed to 15 after a block on a spike from Leaf.

“It was great to be able to compete against someone ranked so high in the nation,” said Templeton. “We did well against them. I was happy.”

The Hurricanes will look to take what they learned from this loss and bring it with them to Syracuse, where they will continue ACC play against the Orange at 7 p.m. Friday.

Danny New

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...