Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Sailing club sets course with beginners’ lessons

The University of Miami Sailing Club offers students an opportunity to get offshore and explore the pristine waters surrounding South Florida.

The organization, currently consisting of about 40 to 50 active sailors, is divided into a ‘Learn to Sail’ program, a co-ed team and a women’s team.

“The club is way more than just learning how to steer a boat,” said president Kate Schmicker.

Instead, it is a strong community that supports each member both in and out of competition.

One of campus’ oldest organizations, the team joined the Inter-Collegiate Sailing Association, the NCAA Division One equivalent for sailing, in 2004. The club regularly competes against other southern schools, such as the University of Florida, University of Georgia and College of Charleston, since the club falls into the Southern Atlantic District (SAISA) of the ICSA.

So far this season, the Canes have placed in the middle or front of the pack in multi-school regattas. The team has traveled to three regattas – College of Charleston, New College and the University of South Florida – with more ahead.

This weekend the team is splitting up – with some members traveling to the UF and the remaining sailors staying to host the Women’s SAISA Championship at the Coconut Grove Sailing Center.

Practices take place three times a week out of the Coconut Grove Sailing Center in Key Biscayne and are available for both experienced and new sailors. Inexperienced members, who typically start in the ‘Learn to Sail’ program, often have quick advancement and are eventually able to travel to regattas to compete with the more experienced sailors.

Schmicker recommends the club to anyone, regardless of experience, who is looking for a strong community at UM.

“It’s a group of people off of the field and off of the water coming together and people who stick with you for the rest of your life”

Are you interested in testing out your sea legs? The club is offering one more ‘Learn to Sail’ event this semester in mid-October. For more information, email sailingcanes@gmail.com or check them out on Facebook.

Lucy Hartwell

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...