News, Student Organization

Organization fights inequality

Actress Emma Watson, known for her role as Hermione in “Harry Potter,” recently endorsed the He-For-She campaign, a United Nations (UN) affiliated campaign addressing gender inequality. Students at the University of Miami are spreading a similar message through a chapter of the U.S. National Committee (USNC) for UN Women that was brought to campus this fall.

The club, which is affiliated with the UN and a branch recognized by the USNC, places an emphasis on international issues. It explores problems women all around the world face, from daily domestic violence to human trafficking and child brides.

The organization aims to spread USNC’s mission, which is to create equality in social, political and economic matters for women around the world. The club also works to educate the community about global women’s issues through newsletters, meetings and events like the U.S. National Committee Annual Walk to host documentary screenings and support the elimination of violence against women. 

Senior Vanessa McLay, who is a member of the organization enjoys raising awareness.

“Becoming a part of an organization that allows us to reach out and spread the word about women’s rights has given not only me but my fellow classmates a sense of making a difference,” McLay said. “Our goal is to express our concerns about this issue and gather as many people as we can to help spread awareness. We are here to make a difference and empower women to stand up for their rights.”

Focusing on the gender ineqaulity concept addressed by Watson’s campaign, the club’s current aim is to spread the message that gender inequality is a man’s issue just a much as a woman’s issue.

In her recent speech to the UN, Watson said, “How can we affect change in the world when only half of it is invited or feel welcome to participate in the conversation?”

At the club’s first meeting last Wednesday, President Mariana Gaviria echoed Watson’s sentiment.

“We need to de-stigmatize feminism and target as many males as possible, making this an issue for both gender’s issue rather than just one,” Gaviria said.

The club will work to implement that idea on campus through hosting keynote speakers and events throughout the academic year. It will also commemorate national days dedicated to women such as The 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence Campaign, the United Nations Day and Human Rights Day.

The 16 Days Campaign educates on gender-based violence at a national, regional, local and international levels by creating tools to pressure governments to implement promises made to end violence against women. It starts on Nov. 25 and goes on until Human Rights Day, which is Dec. 10, linking the two together.

The organization’s next planned event, taking place in November, will be a screening of a documentary at the Cosford Cinema to spread awareness. The date and documentary title are to be announced.

For more information, contact the club’s secretary, Vivian Garcia at v.garcia18@umiami.edu. The club meets every other Wednesday at 5 p.m. in room 206 of the University Center (UC).  

Patricia Amaral

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...