News, Student Organization

Organization fights inequality

Actress Emma Watson, known for her role as Hermione in “Harry Potter,” recently endorsed the He-For-She campaign, a United Nations (UN) affiliated campaign addressing gender inequality. Students at the University of Miami are spreading a similar message through a chapter of the U.S. National Committee (USNC) for UN Women that was brought to campus this fall.

The club, which is affiliated with the UN and a branch recognized by the USNC, places an emphasis on international issues. It explores problems women all around the world face, from daily domestic violence to human trafficking and child brides.

The organization aims to spread USNC’s mission, which is to create equality in social, political and economic matters for women around the world. The club also works to educate the community about global women’s issues through newsletters, meetings and events like the U.S. National Committee Annual Walk to host documentary screenings and support the elimination of violence against women. 

Senior Vanessa McLay, who is a member of the organization enjoys raising awareness.

“Becoming a part of an organization that allows us to reach out and spread the word about women’s rights has given not only me but my fellow classmates a sense of making a difference,” McLay said. “Our goal is to express our concerns about this issue and gather as many people as we can to help spread awareness. We are here to make a difference and empower women to stand up for their rights.”

Focusing on the gender ineqaulity concept addressed by Watson’s campaign, the club’s current aim is to spread the message that gender inequality is a man’s issue just a much as a woman’s issue.

In her recent speech to the UN, Watson said, “How can we affect change in the world when only half of it is invited or feel welcome to participate in the conversation?”

At the club’s first meeting last Wednesday, President Mariana Gaviria echoed Watson’s sentiment.

“We need to de-stigmatize feminism and target as many males as possible, making this an issue for both gender’s issue rather than just one,” Gaviria said.

The club will work to implement that idea on campus through hosting keynote speakers and events throughout the academic year. It will also commemorate national days dedicated to women such as The 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence Campaign, the United Nations Day and Human Rights Day.

The 16 Days Campaign educates on gender-based violence at a national, regional, local and international levels by creating tools to pressure governments to implement promises made to end violence against women. It starts on Nov. 25 and goes on until Human Rights Day, which is Dec. 10, linking the two together.

The organization’s next planned event, taking place in November, will be a screening of a documentary at the Cosford Cinema to spread awareness. The date and documentary title are to be announced.

For more information, contact the club’s secretary, Vivian Garcia at v.garcia18@umiami.edu. The club meets every other Wednesday at 5 p.m. in room 206 of the University Center (UC).  

Patricia Amaral

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...