News Briefs 10/2

Junior Jesse Schilling grabs free coffee and a shirt from Cafe Bustelo on the Rock Tuesday. Cafe Bustelo promoted its scholarship program, which recently became eligible to Hispanic students. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Homecoming Concert Tickets

Hurricane Productions and the Concerts Committee are bringing Matt and Kim and Fabolous to campus as this year’s Homecoming concert performers. Tickets are available from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the University Center ticket window, which is open Monday to Friday.

All students with a valid Cane Card can pick up one ticket. If tickets remain, students may pick up guest tickets beginning Oct. 6. Faculty and staff with a valid Cane Card can pick up two tickets from the Student Activities Center Room 206, which is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Cooking Class

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center is offering a Greek cooking class from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Oct. 21 in the instructional kitchen.

The class is taught by a professional chef and includes hands-on learning as well as dinner and leftovers. Some of the menu items for the class consist of skillet pastitsio and lentil salad with olives, mint and feta. The course costs $20 for members of the Wellness Center. Registration is available at miami.edu/wellness or by calling 305-284-5433.

Ghandi Day

National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest service day at UM, will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday. Participants will be assigned to volunteer at a variety of sites around Miami. Students can register for the event individually, with a student organization or with a group of friends. Volunteers will be provided food and a T-shirt. Registration will be at the University Center (UC) patio until Friday. For more information, email umgandhiday@gmail.com.

Festival Miami

The University of Miami’s Frost School of Music’s Festival Miami will open its 31st season on Oct. 10 with a performance from the Frost Symphony Orchestra and will conclude on Nov. 8 with blues artist Keb’ Mo’.

Throughout the month-long event, world-class instrumentalists, singers, ensembles, songwriters and composers will perform on campus alongside faculty and students. Festival Miami concerts are presented at UM Maurice Gusman Concert Hall. Tickets start at $15. Lectures and master classes are free and open to the public.

Election Results

The votes cast in this fall’s Student Government (SG) election doubled from last year’s, with more than 600 students who voted in the elections, according to Symon Rowlands, the SG Election Commissions Chair.

Students voted from Monday through Wednesday in the University Center (UC) breezeway and online through OrgSync. SG Senate election results were announced Wednesday at the UC Patio. Of the 24 available seats, 23 were filled. The remaining position is senator for the School of Communication, which will be available through the Senate Selections Process.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...