News Briefs 10/2

Junior Jesse Schilling grabs free coffee and a shirt from Cafe Bustelo on the Rock Tuesday. Cafe Bustelo promoted its scholarship program, which recently became eligible to Hispanic students. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Homecoming Concert Tickets

Hurricane Productions and the Concerts Committee are bringing Matt and Kim and Fabolous to campus as this year’s Homecoming concert performers. Tickets are available from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the University Center ticket window, which is open Monday to Friday.

All students with a valid Cane Card can pick up one ticket. If tickets remain, students may pick up guest tickets beginning Oct. 6. Faculty and staff with a valid Cane Card can pick up two tickets from the Student Activities Center Room 206, which is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Cooking Class

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center is offering a Greek cooking class from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Oct. 21 in the instructional kitchen.

The class is taught by a professional chef and includes hands-on learning as well as dinner and leftovers. Some of the menu items for the class consist of skillet pastitsio and lentil salad with olives, mint and feta. The course costs $20 for members of the Wellness Center. Registration is available at miami.edu/wellness or by calling 305-284-5433.

Ghandi Day

National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest service day at UM, will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday. Participants will be assigned to volunteer at a variety of sites around Miami. Students can register for the event individually, with a student organization or with a group of friends. Volunteers will be provided food and a T-shirt. Registration will be at the University Center (UC) patio until Friday. For more information, email umgandhiday@gmail.com.

Festival Miami

The University of Miami’s Frost School of Music’s Festival Miami will open its 31st season on Oct. 10 with a performance from the Frost Symphony Orchestra and will conclude on Nov. 8 with blues artist Keb’ Mo’.

Throughout the month-long event, world-class instrumentalists, singers, ensembles, songwriters and composers will perform on campus alongside faculty and students. Festival Miami concerts are presented at UM Maurice Gusman Concert Hall. Tickets start at $15. Lectures and master classes are free and open to the public.

Election Results

The votes cast in this fall’s Student Government (SG) election doubled from last year’s, with more than 600 students who voted in the elections, according to Symon Rowlands, the SG Election Commissions Chair.

Students voted from Monday through Wednesday in the University Center (UC) breezeway and online through OrgSync. SG Senate election results were announced Wednesday at the UC Patio. Of the 24 available seats, 23 were filled. The remaining position is senator for the School of Communication, which will be available through the Senate Selections Process.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...