News Briefs 10/2

Junior Jesse Schilling grabs free coffee and a shirt from Cafe Bustelo on the Rock Tuesday. Cafe Bustelo promoted its scholarship program, which recently became eligible to Hispanic students. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Homecoming Concert Tickets

Hurricane Productions and the Concerts Committee are bringing Matt and Kim and Fabolous to campus as this year’s Homecoming concert performers. Tickets are available from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the University Center ticket window, which is open Monday to Friday.

All students with a valid Cane Card can pick up one ticket. If tickets remain, students may pick up guest tickets beginning Oct. 6. Faculty and staff with a valid Cane Card can pick up two tickets from the Student Activities Center Room 206, which is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Cooking Class

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center is offering a Greek cooking class from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Oct. 21 in the instructional kitchen.

The class is taught by a professional chef and includes hands-on learning as well as dinner and leftovers. Some of the menu items for the class consist of skillet pastitsio and lentil salad with olives, mint and feta. The course costs $20 for members of the Wellness Center. Registration is available at miami.edu/wellness or by calling 305-284-5433.

Ghandi Day

National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest service day at UM, will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday. Participants will be assigned to volunteer at a variety of sites around Miami. Students can register for the event individually, with a student organization or with a group of friends. Volunteers will be provided food and a T-shirt. Registration will be at the University Center (UC) patio until Friday. For more information, email umgandhiday@gmail.com.

Festival Miami

The University of Miami’s Frost School of Music’s Festival Miami will open its 31st season on Oct. 10 with a performance from the Frost Symphony Orchestra and will conclude on Nov. 8 with blues artist Keb’ Mo’.

Throughout the month-long event, world-class instrumentalists, singers, ensembles, songwriters and composers will perform on campus alongside faculty and students. Festival Miami concerts are presented at UM Maurice Gusman Concert Hall. Tickets start at $15. Lectures and master classes are free and open to the public.

Election Results

The votes cast in this fall’s Student Government (SG) election doubled from last year’s, with more than 600 students who voted in the elections, according to Symon Rowlands, the SG Election Commissions Chair.

Students voted from Monday through Wednesday in the University Center (UC) breezeway and online through OrgSync. SG Senate election results were announced Wednesday at the UC Patio. Of the 24 available seats, 23 were filled. The remaining position is senator for the School of Communication, which will be available through the Senate Selections Process.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...