Sports Briefs 9/29

SOCCER

The Hurricanes (2-8) lost a nail-biter to Syracuse (4-4-3) 1-0 in their ACC Opener. The game’s only score came in the 61st minute when Orange forward Stephanie Skilton footed a rebound past senior goalkeeper Emily Lillard. The Kansas native had three saves, bringing her to 39 on the season and ranking 2nd in the ACC. Five of eight of Miami’s losses have been by one goal. The Hurricanes will look to turn the corner on these close losses.

GOLF

The Miami women’s golf team has performed beyond the expectations of recent seasons, and heads to the ACC Championships this weekend. Three starters from the eighth-place squad at last year’s tournament will return to the course for No. 54 Miami. The action kicks off at the Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, N.C., at 8:30 a.m. Friday. The Canes placed in the top five of their 10 tournaments this year. To track the women’s progress throughout the weekend, follow the team on Twitter @HurricanesGolf.

Danny New may be emailed at dnew@themiamihurricane.com.

Danny New

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...