Sports Briefs 9/29

SOCCER

The Hurricanes (2-8) lost a nail-biter to Syracuse (4-4-3) 1-0 in their ACC Opener. The game’s only score came in the 61st minute when Orange forward Stephanie Skilton footed a rebound past senior goalkeeper Emily Lillard. The Kansas native had three saves, bringing her to 39 on the season and ranking 2nd in the ACC. Five of eight of Miami’s losses have been by one goal. The Hurricanes will look to turn the corner on these close losses.

GOLF

The Miami women’s golf team has performed beyond the expectations of recent seasons, and heads to the ACC Championships this weekend. Three starters from the eighth-place squad at last year’s tournament will return to the course for No. 54 Miami. The action kicks off at the Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, N.C., at 8:30 a.m. Friday. The Canes placed in the top five of their 10 tournaments this year. To track the women’s progress throughout the weekend, follow the team on Twitter @HurricanesGolf.

Danny New may be emailed at dnew@themiamihurricane.com.

Danny New

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...