News Briefs 9/29

Homecoming Concert Tickets

Hurricane Productions and the Concerts Committee are bringing Matt and Kim and Fabolous to campus as this year’s Homecoming concert performers. Tickets will be available from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. beginning Monday at the University Center ticket window. The ticket window is open Monday to Friday.

All students with a valid Cane Card can pick up one ticket. If tickets remain, students may pick up guest tickets beginning Oct. 6. Faculty and staff with a valid Cane Card may pick up two tickets beginning Wednesday from the Student Activities Center Room 206, which is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

There are two types of tickets: general admission floor (GA Floor) and general admission seats (GA Seats). Floor tickets are available for students only. Floor tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Guantanamo Memory Project

The University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement will host a reception and panel discussion for the Guantanamo Public Memory Project in partnership with the Miami Herald and University of Miami Libraries.

The opening reception will take place at 6 p.m. Monday in the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery. The project is a traveling exhibit that seeks to build public awareness of the history of the U.S. naval station at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. It aims to foster conversation about the future of it and the policies it shapes.

Panelists at Monday’s opening include Carol Rosenberg of the Miami Herald, Christina Frohock of the University of Miami School of Law, and Madhya Husta, a former Cuban community assistance program manager. The exhibit will be on display until Oct. 31.

Preventing Aggression Conference

The University of Miami’s School of Education and Human Development is partnering with the Melissa Institute for Violence Prevention and Treatment to host a bullying conference from 8:30 a.m. to noon on Friday in the Newman Alumni Center.

The conference will address aggression and bullying in schools and the community, as well as ways to address the issues. Workshop participants will discuss elements for families, groups and children experiencing behavioral problems associated with aggression and will formulate ways to engage the community. To attend, visit melissainstitute.org. The deadline to register is Tuesday.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...