News Briefs 9/29

Homecoming Concert Tickets

Hurricane Productions and the Concerts Committee are bringing Matt and Kim and Fabolous to campus as this year’s Homecoming concert performers. Tickets will be available from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. beginning Monday at the University Center ticket window. The ticket window is open Monday to Friday.

All students with a valid Cane Card can pick up one ticket. If tickets remain, students may pick up guest tickets beginning Oct. 6. Faculty and staff with a valid Cane Card may pick up two tickets beginning Wednesday from the Student Activities Center Room 206, which is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

There are two types of tickets: general admission floor (GA Floor) and general admission seats (GA Seats). Floor tickets are available for students only. Floor tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Guantanamo Memory Project

The University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement will host a reception and panel discussion for the Guantanamo Public Memory Project in partnership with the Miami Herald and University of Miami Libraries.

The opening reception will take place at 6 p.m. Monday in the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery. The project is a traveling exhibit that seeks to build public awareness of the history of the U.S. naval station at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. It aims to foster conversation about the future of it and the policies it shapes.

Panelists at Monday’s opening include Carol Rosenberg of the Miami Herald, Christina Frohock of the University of Miami School of Law, and Madhya Husta, a former Cuban community assistance program manager. The exhibit will be on display until Oct. 31.

Preventing Aggression Conference

The University of Miami’s School of Education and Human Development is partnering with the Melissa Institute for Violence Prevention and Treatment to host a bullying conference from 8:30 a.m. to noon on Friday in the Newman Alumni Center.

The conference will address aggression and bullying in schools and the community, as well as ways to address the issues. Workshop participants will discuss elements for families, groups and children experiencing behavioral problems associated with aggression and will formulate ways to engage the community. To attend, visit melissainstitute.org. The deadline to register is Tuesday.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...