News Briefs 9/29

Homecoming Concert Tickets

Hurricane Productions and the Concerts Committee are bringing Matt and Kim and Fabolous to campus as this year’s Homecoming concert performers. Tickets will be available from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. beginning Monday at the University Center ticket window. The ticket window is open Monday to Friday.

All students with a valid Cane Card can pick up one ticket. If tickets remain, students may pick up guest tickets beginning Oct. 6. Faculty and staff with a valid Cane Card may pick up two tickets beginning Wednesday from the Student Activities Center Room 206, which is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

There are two types of tickets: general admission floor (GA Floor) and general admission seats (GA Seats). Floor tickets are available for students only. Floor tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Guantanamo Memory Project

The University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement will host a reception and panel discussion for the Guantanamo Public Memory Project in partnership with the Miami Herald and University of Miami Libraries.

The opening reception will take place at 6 p.m. Monday in the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery. The project is a traveling exhibit that seeks to build public awareness of the history of the U.S. naval station at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. It aims to foster conversation about the future of it and the policies it shapes.

Panelists at Monday’s opening include Carol Rosenberg of the Miami Herald, Christina Frohock of the University of Miami School of Law, and Madhya Husta, a former Cuban community assistance program manager. The exhibit will be on display until Oct. 31.

Preventing Aggression Conference

The University of Miami’s School of Education and Human Development is partnering with the Melissa Institute for Violence Prevention and Treatment to host a bullying conference from 8:30 a.m. to noon on Friday in the Newman Alumni Center.

The conference will address aggression and bullying in schools and the community, as well as ways to address the issues. Workshop participants will discuss elements for families, groups and children experiencing behavioral problems associated with aggression and will formulate ways to engage the community. To attend, visit melissainstitute.org. The deadline to register is Tuesday.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...