News Briefs 9/29

Homecoming Concert Tickets

Hurricane Productions and the Concerts Committee are bringing Matt and Kim and Fabolous to campus as this year’s Homecoming concert performers. Tickets will be available from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. beginning Monday at the University Center ticket window. The ticket window is open Monday to Friday.

All students with a valid Cane Card can pick up one ticket. If tickets remain, students may pick up guest tickets beginning Oct. 6. Faculty and staff with a valid Cane Card may pick up two tickets beginning Wednesday from the Student Activities Center Room 206, which is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

There are two types of tickets: general admission floor (GA Floor) and general admission seats (GA Seats). Floor tickets are available for students only. Floor tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Guantanamo Memory Project

The University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement will host a reception and panel discussion for the Guantanamo Public Memory Project in partnership with the Miami Herald and University of Miami Libraries.

The opening reception will take place at 6 p.m. Monday in the College of Arts and Sciences Gallery. The project is a traveling exhibit that seeks to build public awareness of the history of the U.S. naval station at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. It aims to foster conversation about the future of it and the policies it shapes.

Panelists at Monday’s opening include Carol Rosenberg of the Miami Herald, Christina Frohock of the University of Miami School of Law, and Madhya Husta, a former Cuban community assistance program manager. The exhibit will be on display until Oct. 31.

Preventing Aggression Conference

The University of Miami’s School of Education and Human Development is partnering with the Melissa Institute for Violence Prevention and Treatment to host a bullying conference from 8:30 a.m. to noon on Friday in the Newman Alumni Center.

The conference will address aggression and bullying in schools and the community, as well as ways to address the issues. Workshop participants will discuss elements for families, groups and children experiencing behavioral problems associated with aggression and will formulate ways to engage the community. To attend, visit melissainstitute.org. The deadline to register is Tuesday.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...