Edge, Television

Mini-series reveals big secrets in small town

Fox’s “Gracepoint” will premiere at 9 p.m. Thursday as another serious crime drama and murder mystery show. The 10-episode mini-series focuses on the small northern California town of Gracepoint after 12-year-old Danny Solano is found dead on the beach.

The show’s tagline is “small town secrets are never small.” It is furthered early in the first episode when an old church board is shown with the scripture “Love thy neighbor,” implying this is a town where everyone knows everyone.

When Emmett Carver (David Tennant), the rugged city detective with a checkered past, comes to a small town for an unknown reason, he leads the police department through its first murder investigation. He is partnered with detective Ellie Miller (Anna Gunn), who feels that Carver has stolen her job since she got passed over for a promotion. This causes tension between the two, who are now forced to work together.

Miller is unexperienced in dealing with death cases, and to further complicate matters, Danny Solano was best friends with Miller’s son. This adds to her struggle and is reluctant to name suspects because she knows everyone in the town.

Detective Carver is a dramatic change from Tennant’s typical roles, which include the 10th doctor from BBC’s hit show “Doctor Who,” and Bartemius “Barty” Crouch Junior from “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.” Gracepoint shows Tennant as the voice of reason in this serious role. His mysterious past leaves the audience suspicious about his reason for being in the town.

Gunn’s previous roles include Skyler White from “Breaking Bad.” Gunn portrays Miller as dramatic and overly-emotional, which is a direct contrast to Tennant’s Carver.

The actors portray these complex, emotional characters realistically. Carver and Miller’s dynamic created its own set of obstacles, which pushed the plot along. The use of slow motion in filming is used to convey urgency as well as build drama in highly emotional scenes. It’s heartbreaking and thought-provoking.

The plot is in danger of dragging as the 10-episode mini-series focuses only on one case; however, the show involves itself with the personal details of characters’ lives, leaving the audience waiting for what will be revealed next.

The show greatly resembles the popular British drama “Broadchurch” and has the potential to captivate American mystery seekers.

Courtney Fiorini

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

The Hurricanes made a ninth inning rally, but came up just short to No. 5 NC State, 7-6. ...

Kevin Arreaga of the University of Miami track and field team won the men's hammer throw on Sat ...

The Hurricanes received two key signatures from transfers in December's early signing period. ...

The Hurricanes travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to battle the 11th-ranked Tar Heels. ...