Edge, Television

Mini-series reveals big secrets in small town

Fox’s “Gracepoint” will premiere at 9 p.m. Thursday as another serious crime drama and murder mystery show. The 10-episode mini-series focuses on the small northern California town of Gracepoint after 12-year-old Danny Solano is found dead on the beach.

The show’s tagline is “small town secrets are never small.” It is furthered early in the first episode when an old church board is shown with the scripture “Love thy neighbor,” implying this is a town where everyone knows everyone.

When Emmett Carver (David Tennant), the rugged city detective with a checkered past, comes to a small town for an unknown reason, he leads the police department through its first murder investigation. He is partnered with detective Ellie Miller (Anna Gunn), who feels that Carver has stolen her job since she got passed over for a promotion. This causes tension between the two, who are now forced to work together.

Miller is unexperienced in dealing with death cases, and to further complicate matters, Danny Solano was best friends with Miller’s son. This adds to her struggle and is reluctant to name suspects because she knows everyone in the town.

Detective Carver is a dramatic change from Tennant’s typical roles, which include the 10th doctor from BBC’s hit show “Doctor Who,” and Bartemius “Barty” Crouch Junior from “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.” Gracepoint shows Tennant as the voice of reason in this serious role. His mysterious past leaves the audience suspicious about his reason for being in the town.

Gunn’s previous roles include Skyler White from “Breaking Bad.” Gunn portrays Miller as dramatic and overly-emotional, which is a direct contrast to Tennant’s Carver.

The actors portray these complex, emotional characters realistically. Carver and Miller’s dynamic created its own set of obstacles, which pushed the plot along. The use of slow motion in filming is used to convey urgency as well as build drama in highly emotional scenes. It’s heartbreaking and thought-provoking.

The plot is in danger of dragging as the 10-episode mini-series focuses only on one case; however, the show involves itself with the personal details of characters’ lives, leaving the audience waiting for what will be revealed next.

The show greatly resembles the popular British drama “Broadchurch” and has the potential to captivate American mystery seekers.

Courtney Fiorini

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...