V's Take

Mind your social media presence … or else

First off, I hate the words “social media.” It sounds like a recruiter trying to encourage students to “Facebook” their company. So let’s not.

Many bored, unqualified researchers speculate that social media websites discourage communication because it makes younger peeps rely on computers to converse instead of doing so in person.

Well, actually, it opens a new form of communication. It only broadens the spectrum, not replaces one.

The problem, however, is focused on how the fastest form of communication tarnishes relationships.

With so many opportunities to scare, anger, or roid-rage-induce your significant other with profile pictures, secret photo albums, misread Tweets, etc., it is too easy to puncture the pact of you and your lover(s).

As always, your faithful V is here with advice – steaming and cheesy in a fresh box from Miami’s Best … or … I guess now Pizza Hut. Oy.

Profile Pictures

If you post a picture featuring you and someone who’s just your “best friend,” your lover will get uber jelly it’s not her or him. You might be thinking, “No, Karen would never take the time to stalk my pics and read that far into them.” But Kare-Bear does.

When college kiddies are getting ready for bed, guess what they do. They still check their phones. Everyone has a smartphone now – and no one is checking their stocks.

So be smart. Put yourself in your lover’s Sperry’s. And hey, if you’re truly a monogamous being anyway, which is a rare gem, you should want to send a message out to the world that you’re taken … but not by Liam Neeson.

Sarcastic Tweets

Before every Tweet, ask yourself if TMZ could ruin a celebrity’s career with it.

“It’s not rape if the person is passed out.” Guess who said that? Cee Lo Green. Guess who doesn’t have a reality show anymore? I’ll give you a hint: he’s short, bald and has more tattoos than a hipster who loves Shakespeare.

Your companion’s reputation speaks volumes about you. If you date a jerk-face football player, members of the “framily” will think, “Wow, if she likes that d-wad, she totes must be too.”

So don’t embarrass your loved ones. Don’t tweet insensitive feelings about rape, domestic violence or racism.

You might think you’re funny by making a joke about Ray Rice, but your girlfriend or  boyfriend will leave you if you really think domestic violence is funny.

Final V-DICT

Overall, social media enables faster and more honest communication, so be careful using this speculative weapon of mass destruction. Or just delete your social media accounts. In 20 years, you’ll be embarrassed when you see how the people in these pictures look by then.

Advice Columnist

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...