Sports, Volleyball

Hurricanes sweep competition at home, falter abroad

Freshman Haley Templeton (5), redshirt senior Emani Sims (16) and senior Savanah Leaf (21) attempt to block a return from Notre Dame. The Canes won Friday’s home game 3-0. Olivia Gassner // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricanes (8-5, 1-1) squad had a bittersweet ACC kickoff weekend.

After going 7-4 in no-conference play, the team swept Notre Dame (3-10) Friday at home, but then received the opposite result at Duke (9-3) Sunday.

Friday was a continuation of a recurring theme for the team: stellar home performances.

The Hurricanes won their sixth home match of the season Friday at the Knight Sports Complex, taking the Fighting Irish 25-14, 25-17 and 25-13.

Savanah Leaf once again led the charge offensively, accumulating a team-high 16 kills with a .517 kill percentage.

“The setters did a great job tonight,” Leaf said after the game. “Also, the middles were up every time, giving me a lot of seam balls to work with. I think it was just the compilation of everybody together.”

Setters Haley Templeton and Caitlin Donahoe combined for 33 assists on the night. Freshman Templeton still remains the top setter in the ACC with 10.66 assists per set as of Friday.

Fellow freshman Sakile Simmons and junior Taylor Scott combined for 13 kills, contributing to the Canes’ plus -.300 kill percentage in two of the three sets.

“Duke is an amazing team,” Leaf added. “This [win]builds a lot of confidence, but we take it one game at a time. Duke is going to be a great game.”

However, Duke was able to pick up where it left off last year, when it swept Miami twice.

The orange and green struggled defensively, letting the Blue Devils finish with a .500 kill percentage in the first set. The Canes  failed to earn any blocks.

The team also battled offensive woes, accumulating sub-.200 in their final two sets. Leaf again led the team with 10 kills, elevating her tally to 189 on the season. Georgia-native Templeton added 21 assists, thus bringing her total to 421 in her first year.

Fortunately for the Canes, they travel back home to their Coral Gables fortress Friday, where they will take on Clemson at 7 p.m.

Danny New

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ offense has struggled for about a month now and Saturday there was no bigger c ...

Thoughts and postscripts after UM’s 27-21 loss at Georgia Tech on Saturday: ▪ If Mark Richt intends ...

The Miami Hurricanes have spiraled into a deep dive, with little time left to surface for air. In a ...

When Jack Spicer first booted away a 38-yard punt early in the second quarter against the Georgia Te ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

The “It’s On Us” Student Ambassador Program empowers peers to overcome sexual misconduct and gender ...

The Hurricanes advance to the Preseason WNIT semifinals. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team fell to North Carolina, 3-1, on Veteran's Day at Carmic ...

The No. 25/24 Miami women's basketball team will resume play in the Preseason WNIT Sunday after ...

The Hurricanes fall to Georgia Tech in Atlanta Saturday night. ...

Freshmen Franco Aubone and Kaya Gore of the University of Miami men's tennis team captured a do ...