Club/Intramural Sports, Featured, Sports

Boxing provides alternative exercise, workout routine

UM boxing club members spar during a practice conducted at Wellness Center on Thursday evening. The boxing club meets at 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Wellness Center basketball courts.  Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

UM boxing club members spar during a practice conducted at Wellness Center on Thursday evening. The boxing club meets at 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Wellness Center basketball courts. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

At the Wellness Center, there is an abundance of club sports and activities that keep the student body busy and active.

One of its freshest and fastest growing, the Boxing Club, has gone from a virtually unknown organization to one of the most popular groups.

Under the leadership of Club President Teresa Browning, the club has developed and made strides toward becoming one of the largest club sports on campus.

“When I joined the boxing club as a freshman, there were about six to eight committed members,” she said. “Now there are about 60 to 80. I am proud to be president of a club where regardless of boxing expertise, there is a spot in the club for everyone.”

The club’s growth is spurred by its appeal to a wide range of people with varying levels of interest in boxing.

“The boxing club is a great way to get exercise, meet other people, and have fun,” said two-year member Ahmed Abdulaal. “Coming to the gym and just doing weights does not give the same sense of doing something, as well as exercising, as boxing does.”

In addition to being an expanding group, the Boxing Club is also a competitive team.

Just this spring, the national championships were hosted at UM’s Wellness Center. More than 100 fighters participating from more than 20 schools across the country came to compete for the title.

Six fighters from UM entered, and four won championships in their respective weight classes: Courtney “C.J.” Jackson, Anna Benitez, Jillian Kernan and Ralph Longo.

Key members like Jackson, a two-time defending champion, are already beginning to train for a professional career.

This coming April, six to eight Hurricanes will once again compete in the championships and are confident in their potential success.

“With the strong core of three returning national championships and a handful of electric new fighters, we are making collegiate boxing prominent again here at the U,” said Boxing Vice President Shameek Mohile.

The boxing club holds practices from 8 to 9:15 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Wellness Center. The club welcomes newcomers and veterans alike.

Edward Baffa

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...