Club/Intramural Sports, Featured, Sports

Boxing provides alternative exercise, workout routine

UM boxing club members spar during a practice conducted at Wellness Center on Thursday evening. The boxing club meets at 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Wellness Center basketball courts.  Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

UM boxing club members spar during a practice conducted at Wellness Center on Thursday evening. The boxing club meets at 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Wellness Center basketball courts. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

At the Wellness Center, there is an abundance of club sports and activities that keep the student body busy and active.

One of its freshest and fastest growing, the Boxing Club, has gone from a virtually unknown organization to one of the most popular groups.

Under the leadership of Club President Teresa Browning, the club has developed and made strides toward becoming one of the largest club sports on campus.

“When I joined the boxing club as a freshman, there were about six to eight committed members,” she said. “Now there are about 60 to 80. I am proud to be president of a club where regardless of boxing expertise, there is a spot in the club for everyone.”

The club’s growth is spurred by its appeal to a wide range of people with varying levels of interest in boxing.

“The boxing club is a great way to get exercise, meet other people, and have fun,” said two-year member Ahmed Abdulaal. “Coming to the gym and just doing weights does not give the same sense of doing something, as well as exercising, as boxing does.”

In addition to being an expanding group, the Boxing Club is also a competitive team.

Just this spring, the national championships were hosted at UM’s Wellness Center. More than 100 fighters participating from more than 20 schools across the country came to compete for the title.

Six fighters from UM entered, and four won championships in their respective weight classes: Courtney “C.J.” Jackson, Anna Benitez, Jillian Kernan and Ralph Longo.

Key members like Jackson, a two-time defending champion, are already beginning to train for a professional career.

This coming April, six to eight Hurricanes will once again compete in the championships and are confident in their potential success.

“With the strong core of three returning national championships and a handful of electric new fighters, we are making collegiate boxing prominent again here at the U,” said Boxing Vice President Shameek Mohile.

The boxing club holds practices from 8 to 9:15 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Wellness Center. The club welcomes newcomers and veterans alike.

Edward Baffa

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...