Club/Intramural Sports, Featured, Sports

Boxing provides alternative exercise, workout routine

UM boxing club members spar during a practice conducted at Wellness Center on Thursday evening. The boxing club meets at 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Wellness Center basketball courts.  Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

UM boxing club members spar during a practice conducted at Wellness Center on Thursday evening. The boxing club meets at 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Wellness Center basketball courts. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

At the Wellness Center, there is an abundance of club sports and activities that keep the student body busy and active.

One of its freshest and fastest growing, the Boxing Club, has gone from a virtually unknown organization to one of the most popular groups.

Under the leadership of Club President Teresa Browning, the club has developed and made strides toward becoming one of the largest club sports on campus.

“When I joined the boxing club as a freshman, there were about six to eight committed members,” she said. “Now there are about 60 to 80. I am proud to be president of a club where regardless of boxing expertise, there is a spot in the club for everyone.”

The club’s growth is spurred by its appeal to a wide range of people with varying levels of interest in boxing.

“The boxing club is a great way to get exercise, meet other people, and have fun,” said two-year member Ahmed Abdulaal. “Coming to the gym and just doing weights does not give the same sense of doing something, as well as exercising, as boxing does.”

In addition to being an expanding group, the Boxing Club is also a competitive team.

Just this spring, the national championships were hosted at UM’s Wellness Center. More than 100 fighters participating from more than 20 schools across the country came to compete for the title.

Six fighters from UM entered, and four won championships in their respective weight classes: Courtney “C.J.” Jackson, Anna Benitez, Jillian Kernan and Ralph Longo.

Key members like Jackson, a two-time defending champion, are already beginning to train for a professional career.

This coming April, six to eight Hurricanes will once again compete in the championships and are confident in their potential success.

“With the strong core of three returning national championships and a handful of electric new fighters, we are making collegiate boxing prominent again here at the U,” said Boxing Vice President Shameek Mohile.

The boxing club holds practices from 8 to 9:15 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Wellness Center. The club welcomes newcomers and veterans alike.

Edward Baffa

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...